Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Headset jack disables handset on M7310?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevjb

MIS
Jun 13, 2003
US
Once a headset (in this case Plantronics unamplified) is plugged directly into the headset port of MICS 6.x M7310, it seems to disable the handset, so phone functions "default" to the headset jack. Is there a way to alternate between using handset or headset w/o having to physically unplug the headset everytime?

yes,

You must plug the amplifier into the handset port on phone, then plug handset into the amplifier. To answer calls simply lift handset!

So, you cant just plug the headset into the headset port and still be able to use the handset when you want to? What's the point of the headset jack, if I'm forced to use an adapter in the handset jack? The headset does work in the headset port, but it seems to disable the handset completely, and I know of no way to be able to switch between the handset or the headset (like the "handsfree" key to switch between handset and handsfree speaker).

Is there a way (button/key, feature code, etc) to switch between headset or handset when both are plugged into the back of the M7310 set? It seems like handset is completely disabled when headset is plugged in (this is without using a separate adapter)...

Most headset amplifiers have a switch to change from headset to handset, still leave the handset plugged into the phone.

To be able to use the handset you have to disconnect the headset at the quick release and leave the patch cable plugged in to the set. If the headset is attached it becomes the default path.

Or you can pay the kind that the handset plugs into the AMP for the headset and the headset AMP plugs into the handset jack on the phone. than you just have to push the button on the AMP to switch backand forth.

According to the Headset feature description in the documentation:

When using a headset you must have the Handsfree/Mute feature assigned to the Norstar telephone (M7310, M7324) if you wish to use a headset.

While you are using the headset, the handset and the switch in the telephone cradle do not work.

A headset cannot be used on an M7100 set.

To use the headset , press HANDSFREE, this will turn ON/OFF the headset automatically as long as it is plugged in the set. You can adjust the volume bar as appropriate.

To switch back to the HANDSFREE speaker feature just unplug the headset.

No need for any amplifiers or batteries to go bad or get in the way! This feature has been around since DR3.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Yes that's works, but you missed the point of the question.

"Is there a way to alternate between using handset or headset w/o having to physically unplug the headset everytime?"

The questioner doesn't want to have to unplug the headset to use the handset.

I didn't miss the point, I hit it on the head!!

You use the HANDSFREE button to switch between the handset and headset - NO UNPLUGGING NECESSARY!!

I have used this feature so I know how it works. With the headset plugged in it takes the place of the speakerphone. If you want to use the handset pick it up and press the HANDSFREE to turn off the headset.

Only if you wish to use the speakerphone feature would you unplug anything.

....JIM....

Syquest,

Your explanation does not work! When you press the handsfree/mute button, all it does is mute the mic on the headset; press it again and it "unmutes" the mic. The handset is completely disabled (and speakerphone, for that matter) when headset is plugged into the headset jack. When a call comes in, the speach path comes thru the headset if you push the incoming line button or press speakerphone/mute button. If you lift the handset, you get nothing, just dead. If you press the handsfree/mute button, it mutes the headset mic. The only way to enable the handset, is to physically unplug the headset from the headset jack.

Well, I guess NORTHERN has done it again!

The only thing I can think of is NT changed the software after DR5. Why, who knows!

I am installing an 824DS that has DR5 in it with M7310 sets. The next time I go there I will bring a Plantronics Polaris headset with me and try it and see what happens.

The verbage from my previous post came from the NT feature description in the DR3 system coordinator guide.

It makes no sense to me why these companies can't do these features the right way!

I guess somebody needs to complain or open a BUG report with NT...

Sorry for the confusion.

....JIM....

On the 7310 if you have an amplifier you are set, just flip the button from headset to handset(I know you don't have a handset plugged in when you have the amp plugged into the headset jack but the phone senses that there is a headset in place and defaults over to it) then the handset will work when you pickup the handset (plugged into the handset jack) when you put your headset on punch the button on the AMP(plugged into the headset jack) that indicates headset and you are ready to use the handsfree button to control the call. when you hang up the headset punch the headset button again. this turns the phone back to speakerphone.

If you have the style of heaset that does not have an amp then just disconnect the quick disconnect on the headset when you hang up the headset and all is good.

not complex just annoying

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I just had to deal with this same issue this week.

Our headsets disable the other modes on our M7208s and M7310s. You have to pull the quick disconnect, which drops you back to speakerphone, and then pick up the handset if you want to talk privately. There is a 1-second delay when you pull the QD before the speakerphone kicks in, but everything else switches instantaneously.

Anyways, our Accounting dept didn't like this, so yesterday I put in an order for some T7208s, which have a dedicated headset button (which I pray works as advertised on our 8x24 DR5.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back