Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heading style in Word 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanch72

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
SE
Hi

I am trying to create a template with specific heading styles. However, the numbers used in the heading (1.1.2...) do not follow the style. I can't find any place in Word where to format just the numbers. I have tried to format the numbers directly on the heading and "uppdate heading style to match selection", without any success.
Can someone help me, please

Fanch

Hi Fanch,

In Word 2007, you control multilevel list numbering via the Multilevel List Numbering button on the Paragraph tab on the Home Ribbon. The Multilevel List Numbering button is the 3rd from the left on the top row.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. But how do I change the style of the numbering? It keep going back to the original style.

Thank you for your help

Fanch

Hi again
another way of asking the same question.
Where do I change the font of the numbers in Heading 1, 2 etc.
Thanks

Hi Fanch,

Assuming you've got a paragraph in the relevent Style selected, click on the dropdown arrow at the bottom right side of the Styles tab on the Home Ribbon. Then choose Manage Styles|Modify|Format|Numbering|Define New Number Format|Font.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Hi

thank you, but your latest answer will just create a new format. I need to change an existing one.

If I try to modify the style for heading 2, even the numbers are affected. If I do the same for heading 3... only the name of the chapter is affected, not the number...

greatfull for your help.

Fancois

Hi Fanch,

When you get to the 'Numbering' window, simply select the current format before proceeding to the 'Define New Number Format' window, or re-set the numbering in the 'Define New Number Format' window, using the current definition.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Hi Macropod

it's madening... this works for heading 1 and 2 but not above. Although the overall format is the same... anyway, I finally created a whole new set of headings and deleted the old one. It now works...
thanks a lot for your help !

Francois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back