Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Header to load only once

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacksack

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
CA
Here is a really easy question for you guys but I cant figure it out obviously I am new to Dreamweaver. What I want to do is have the Header and side buttons load once when you first go to the page and when you click on any button within the page it remains there and the rest of the page reloads. The way I have it now everytime you click on a link the Top part of my page reloads again I dont want this its the same stuff downloading. If anyone has any idea what I am talking about I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanx a lot in advance for any advice you guys may have

If you want the "Main" part of the page to load and not the menu or top use Frames.

You can also use preload images javascript
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE = JAVASCRIPT>
if (document.images)
{
img1 = new Image();
img2 = new Image();
img1.src = &quot;imageName1.gif&quot;;
img2.src = &quot;imageName2.gif&quot;
}
</SCRIPT>
to load images as browser is being loaded.. this is enteriely useful if you have complex rollovers and are using the same images consistent on each page... I try to stay away from frames because it makes scriping and control a bit more complex..however if frames work by all means use them..

The only reason I try to stay away from complex (disjointed) rollovers is because images can get so large and if they are not large that usually means quality is out the door. Plus if they are preloaded it usually means your main page will take some time to load. Thats the only reason I suggested frames over javascript.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back