Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDMI (Output from GFX Card) to DVI-I (Monitor Connector)

Status
Not open for further replies.

techlounge

Technical User
Aug 21, 2010
GB
Hi, I bought a custom built PC with a new video card that according to the website (at the time) said that it had Two Dual Link DVI outputs and the picture shows this also.

However when I got the computer the connectors on the card were

1. Dual DVI-I
2. VGA
3. HDMI

I have two exact same monitors that have (hard-wired) data cables that are DVI-I connectors.

I went back to the shop and told them this isn't what I'd ordered and the card doesn't power the two monitors that the website suggested it did. Their solution was to give me a connector, which was (female) DVI-D to (male) HDMI. At the time I didn't know the difference between DVI-I & DVI-D, until I got home and tried to connect them together.

I went back to the shop and told them that I needed a DVI-I to HDMI connector and was told it's not possible, only DVI-D to HDMI.

I returned home and did a search and found suppliers selling DVI-I to HDMI connectors. I also read up on wiki to get a better understanding for myself.

The question is, will a connector that has (female) DVI-I & (male) HDMI work? Will I notice a difference in output between the signal going direct out the card's DVI-I connection to my monitor and the other that runs through the connector?

Links:
(the card I bought)
(sourcingmap.com)

Thanks in advance

Here is the problem you may be encountering, on some boards, they will have several connectors, and you can power 2 monitors. Usually this is DVI-I and HDMI as the same internal connector, and you have to choose which you are going to use, the other may have no connection active. And then the other connection you would have is for VGA. which is not ideal. As for the other question as to the signal, they are the exact same digital signal....They either make a connection or they don't. It is not analog, there is no noise or other degradations that can occur. Also, since its a digital signal, don't purchase any over priced cable, with wild claims as to improved picture quality...The 100$ Monster hdmi cable is the same to a digital circuit as the 6$ cable from online vendors.

If it was me, I would take the computer back to the store, and tell them to hook it up to 2 monitors, and watch them how they do it, if they try to use the vga, tell them it is unacceptable, and ask that they change the card that will have the specs advertised, or that they can take the system back as a return for full refund.

Hi rclarke and thanks for your reply. As far as they are concerned they seem to think the card will power two digital monitors so I may well have to take it back and do what you have suggested!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back