Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD SMART failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohinshah

Technical User
May 23, 2010
IN
I have Samsung HDD, when I boot up my PC it detects my harddrive but it shows S.M.A.R.T. function failed. I tried connecting my harddrive to another pc to take copy of data it shows various partitions but while accessing those drives it says the drive is not formatted, do you want to formaat now?

What should I do to retrieve my data back?

You could try running something like GetDatBack. See
I believe the free trial will tell you if it's possible to retrieve data, but you'll need to buy the software to copy off anything that can be saved.

Comes in two flavours, FAT and NTFS - I've had good success with this software.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I have had a few drives go this way, but it can be very difficult to get the data back. I don't think that a piece of software will really help in this case, but is always worth a try. I would personally boot with a live Linux CD (Ubuntu or similar) to see if that can read the drive. Often though with a SMART error the drive is not recoverable unless you are willing to pay to get the data back from a dedicated data retrieval company.

The first two suggestions are correct and in that order.

1. Try GetDataBack free trial to see what you could get back.
2. Pay for recovery service if the data is "worth it" to you. We're talking in the $500 plus range as a general rule.

You could also try Spinrite ( I have had excellent results with it in the past but I have never had a total SMART failure - just warnings that SMART is reporting imminent disk failure. Spinrite might tell you what is up though and help you decide. Unfortunately they don't offer a free version, you have to pay.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

And if you use Spinrite, be prepared to watch your clock spin, or just leave the machine running.... and running.... and running....

Not saying it isn't worth it, but it depends on your situation. You're the only one who can really determine whether it's worth it or not. [thumbsup2]

Again - if you were to hear some nasty noises while leaving it running - that could be wiping out your data permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back