Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hdd shown as dynamic and not formatted :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazizam

MIS
May 21, 2002
CA
I recently built my new pc with a sata hdd as my main hard with os(xp pro) on it. and I added my two old ata hdd. now one of them works just fine but the other one doesnt. it says that its a dynamic hdd but I cant access it or anything. it asks to be formatted.
now I have a whole lot of stuff on it that I just cant lose. (its a 200gb WD)
any suggestions? is there any way to copy or access stuff to on it without formatting it?

this 200gb hdd was wired to my old 80g as a slave which was connected to a controller card.
by the way, the old pc was built on an intel cpu with ati vga and the new one is built on an amd cpu with geforce card.

First thing i can think of would be to put the drive in another computer and see if i can get it working there, then take off the data you want and burn it to a cd or dvd or move it to a usb drive, something like that.

Do you have the drive as master or slave at this point?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

This a "Not Hardware Dependent Issue". You seem to be in trouble... Was your old system Win2K? If so, read this:
The only way I can think of to fix this issue would be plug the drive into a system that uses the SAME operating system as the drive used to be accessed by. I believe there is a right click option to "re-activate" or "import" disk, in both 2K and XP. This can be done (usually) perfectly safely. If you revert, though, as the article above says, you WILL LOSE EVRYTHING!!!

Here's another article explaining the process:
Also, try these links regarding re-importing your disk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back