Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD serial number aquistion..

Status
Not open for further replies.

phase

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
AU
I am in desperate need of some code or something that will get the serial number (not the volume number) of a hard drive. We have found some code that retrieves the serial number of ide, but not skuzzy... can you please help? any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

This one is REAL easy:
> Remove the drive and visually inspect it. It is written on the HD.

2) Contact the manufacturer, ask them.
Check the website of the HD's manufacturer; get their dianostic software, it might show the serial number of the HD when you run it (I have seen the serial number in HD diagnostic software when I run it)

Good luck

thanks for the help, but we're working on a piece of software that needs the hdd serial no. so it can generate a unique authorisation code. this way, the software will not be able to be used on more than one screen... do you follow?

but hey thanks for your help man :)
gohard.jpg

//phase

Now I understand what you want. I will tell you this:
You are in the WRONG section of tech help; this is hardware.
Hardware.
Your talking about CODE. Software.........

So, if you want to look at (look and not steal, of course) some software that does just what your talking about, then what I suggested was HD Manufacturers Diagnostic software.
Like Maxtor "powermax." It gives the Serial # of the hard drive in the software GUI (so you can give it to Maxtor for an RMA).
Now, the trick is,,,,,,, to have YOUR software read all hard drives the same way....... and create a unique identifier.
Doesn't sound that tough (for a software nerd :) Hey, I just do hard ware. Try the link on the left.......... .. right next to your last post to go find some S/W TECHIE Forums.
GL

ok thanks for your help man :)
gohard.jpg

//phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back