Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD Password Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivanova

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
AU
I have a IBM Thinkpad 560Z and I purchased a Toshiba 6GB HDD from Ebay that has a HDD password on it that I don't know. Is there any way of removing this without having to replace the HDD?

Are you sure it's not the thinkpad itselfs BIOS
that is asking for password when you swap drives.

I'm sure it's not the thinkpad BIOS as all POP and Supervisor passwords have been cleared and I can get into easy setup, I boot the laptop and it goes straight to the HDD locked icon and waits for the password to be entered.

Ivanova

What OS are you running? Does it allow you to format the HD?

This is a HDD I purchased from ebay to put into my thinkpad, it won't allow me to do anything because of the HDD password, I can't do format or fdisk even the IBM DFT Diagnostic program states that it can't do anything until the password is removed.

Send it back ,it must be a used one.
Where else would the password come from.

The password is in the HDD. The original owner placed it there by chance (playing or meant to keep for himself). There is nothing you can do about it. I know cause I sold one like that on ebay and the buyer came across that password problem. When he sent it back, I got the password removed (I used several passwords for things) and the drive formated and installed OS fine after that. Good Luck.

For every problem there is a solution, for every solution there is a tech behind it.

Found on Toshiba.
Password Protected HDDs Are Not Interchangeable
The use of the HDD password may prevent data access if the drive is moved to a model other than the model on which the password was created. If transfer of drives is a possible action, the use of the HDD password is not recommended.

Apparently I am stuck with a useless drive as the person I got it from doesn't know the password. I have since got intouch with Toshiba who more or less said that I am on my own and they can't help me. I appreciate and thank you all for your assistance.

Ivanova

There is another option. There is a company in Canada that will remove the password(for a fee).

Go to and read about their password removal service.

The HDD password is a "security feature" that prevents people from stealing and using HDDs. The HDD is useless without the password as no sectors can be seen without the original laptop - unless you remove the password. The drive is "married" to the laptop. Putting it into a new laptop will not help.

This is why they are so cheap on Ebay. They cannot be easiy broken. Be very careful before you bid on ebay for something. If it is very cheap, there is usually a reason.

It is a great feature for theft, but, as in many cases (and data recovery is the major one)if you do not know the password or do not have or the original laptop is broken, you have lost your data and the drive is useless.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, I emailed nortek for a quote and the fee nortek want to remove the password I could buy 2 NEW Drives.
Thanks again for your help
Ivanova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back