Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD light stays on constantly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaffield

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
US
I recently received a worm or something similar
(not a virus) while visiting Kazaa. The worm started writing C: drive to a separate disk, D:. I didn't know how to stop it and it had NAV covered too. When NAV popped up and gave me options and I hit one, the program went back to where it had been and closed NAV.

My computer finally lost the ability to even get in safe mode, so I formatted C:, D: and partitions of the C: drive,
E: and F:. I put in my backup and everything is fine now except my HDD light stays on, as it did when the worm was in control. I can't find anything in the CMOS that would tell the light to stay on. Reckon it's the main board? TIA

All files checked out OK. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll search it out at Kazaa if it ever happens again.
Since you say the Lolol worm is tiime consuming, I'll let you know in a little while about it. Thanks again.

Apparently the worm was been wiped out when the drives were formatted. I couldn't find reference to it anywhere on the computer nor in the registry.
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\runservices didn't have Configuration Loader in it.

Thanks for your help in understanding what may have happened. I'm sure it will help me at some point in the future. You are a great resource on this forum. Thanks

Thanks, shaffield.

You might consider this as something to look at. Maybe you've go tsomething going on in the background that is making that light glow. Real disk activity...
There's so much spyware going around, that if you haven't, please download and run SpyBot S&D (If you're like me, you'll be surprised at what it turns up.

i think that the worm might still be in control i would recommend that you fdisk and start the the system over in full try that and then e-mail me @ tech-khawkins@cox.net

then i will go farther in this eposode that i can help you ???

then also do you have a good virus PROG that can like cantine the virus for you if not i would suggest that to ???????

Hey Carrr, if I never find the answer to the problem I have, I've found Spybot! That thing hits the low, middle and high spots of the computer. Nothing will escape Spybot from what little I've seen of it.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I had Fdisked my drives but I did when I gave up on trying to get rid of the worm.

I'm convinced there's no worm there now. I'm going to change my drive cables in the next couple of days. I'll let you know if anything good happens. Thanks for your interest and Spybot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back