Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD is seen as an unknown file type !!!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madbull

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
BE
Hey all, i have a really strange problem occuring on a laptop.
When you double click on the hdd icon to explore it,it opens the windows where you have to choose wich program you want to use to open the file (????)
Also,when you make a right click on it,you have in the menu some weird comand line that have been add to it....
On the other hand,when you make a right click on "start" and the "explore" it opens windows explorer normaly and you can navigate on the HDD.
I'm sure it's only a problem of corrupted keys in the registry or something like that and i don't want to format and reinstall everything.
The problem is i don't see how to solve this as i didn't find anything on the net so i was thinking maybe someone already had this case and could help me.

Thanks in advance

What is the "weird" menu item that appears when you right click on the HD's icon?

go to Microsoft and get regclean and see if it is in fact a registry issue or error..

skiu is right, what is wierd? need more info...

Tom

I have a screenshot of the "weird" menu item if you want to but the thing is it seems like i cannot post a reply with an attachment.
Usually when making a right click you have the usual commands as "open" "explore" etc....In my case,i have two menu item with strange,non-standard characters.
I'll try regclean and let you know the issue.
Thanks for the help

Update your antivirus program, and then do a virus search. Also, remove any spyware with Ad-aware and Spybot.

already done...check with Trend Micro officscan corporate,regclean,spyware doctor and also tune up utilities 2006...Nothing corrected the problem..i think i am good for a little format c:\ :(

Madbull,
This may be a long shot, but check in "Computer Management" (right-click "my computer" and then choose "manage") and see if the volume name is configured correctly - no spaces before it. I had something similar happen on a pc and the drive icon looked like the generic "postage stamp" because there volume name started with a space.
Bob W

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back