Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD doesn't boot on first try, boots fine on 2nd try though (almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
Hello !

Just for the sake of information, I have a curious problem with my PC. Up to a month ago, I had Win98SE installed on my PC. I also happen to have a front-panel USB hub since September 2001 (yep, it's been a while), because I hate bending over my PC between the desk and the wall, tipping the PC over and trying to find a USB port in the half-light.
Finally, I have a disk bay installed, to be able to swap HDDs without opening the whole PC case. The bay has a switch in front, to cut power to the disk and allow the handle to be lifted to remove the disk holder from the bay. Obviously, not something to do when the PC is running ;-) !
Since a few months ago (about the time I bought a new Seagate 60Gb disk), I have to go through an interesting ritual to get my PC to boot properly. it goes like this :

1) Turn on the PC. BIOS cannot find HDD. Get a "BOOT FAILURE. PRESS KEY TO REBOOT" message. Notice that only two out of four USB ports have a lit LED.
2) Shut down PC. Switch off power to HDD on bay front panel.
3) Turn on PC. Get error message again. Normal, the HDD is not there this time. All four LEDs are lit on USB panel.
4) Turn off PC. Switch power on for HDD bay.
4.5) This happens sometimes : Turn on PC. HDD not found, error message. Turn off PC, extract HDD from bay, slam it back in (okay, gently slam it back in).
5) Turn PC on. Boot works, BIOS finds disk, disk boots, all LEDs are lit on USB panel, all is fine for about five-ten minutes.
6) After ten minutes max, disk freezes.
7) Reboot.

At this point, either the disk gets back to work, or I have to power down completely and do a cold boot for everything to finally work for a normal work period.

Now, three weeks ago I installed XP Professional and, to my surprise, things are much better. The startup process has been reduced to :

1) Boot PC. Disk found, only 2 LEDs lit on USB panel, XP boot screen comes up and everything works fine, except I have only two useable USB ports.
2) Tell XP to reboot system
3) Boot works, all USB LEDs are available, I can work.

So, basically I have a double-boot sequence instead of a quadruple (or more) boot sequence thanks to XP.

But why, oh why, do I have to systematically reboot in the first place ?
It seems obvious that the USB front panel hub is at least partially responsible, but it is hooked directly on a floppy power plug from the PCs power unit, so what has that got to do with messing up the BIOS startup so badly that it doesn't even find the disk the first time ?

It is not the harddisk, since I've downloaded Seagate Tools and ran every test on the disk to check. Once the PC is in working order, of course. At that point, all tests succeed nicely and the diagnostic tool cheerfully tells me that my disk is fine.

I don't see that the motherboard is entirely at fault, since a new OS seems to handle things better (wierd !!).

Any ideas ?

Pascal.

I would also check the connections to the drive bay to see if they have any bearing on it. I'd even go as far as disconnecting the drive bay and straight plugging it into the IDE port on the board. I would also try temporarily disconnecting the USB bay and see what develops. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

pmonett
How much power your PSU produce?
I think you need at least 300 W PSU.
And disable Fast Boot parameter in BIOS - give to your HDD the time to be prepared to work.

reply to TyrantSSV:

The supply unit is a new and certified 350W unit. However, I have been surfing Tom's Hardware lately and I know about the article they did on unreliable certified units.
Given that mine is new, for the moment I think we can rule out that problem. That said, the only way to be sure is to to test the power output when the PC is turned on, and I have no way to do that.
As for the Fast Boot, I admit it might be an interesting idea to try. That said, fast or not, I don't see that the HDD not yet being ready to spin should keep it from being detected by the BIOS, but why not ? After all, I'm not a HDD expert by any stretch of imagination.
I'll try that and see what gives. Even though, I don't see how that would impact the USB hub issue, which seems to be more power-related, unless it is motherboard-related. Or maybe it's just a bug in the hub's firmware.

PM.

Most probably the problem is of loose connection, try resitting all the connectors (and even BIOS on the M/B by pressing it if in socket and the RAMs).

Upgrading BIOS may help otherwise the problem should be with M/B.

Use your own wisdom to isolate the faulty part by repalcing and checking individually.

Best of the luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back