Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD detection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamerHan

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
GB
Hello all. Just seem to be having the following problem with my computer and was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

After a recent crash on my WinXP PC, I did a reboot but was faced with the error message "SYSTEM BOOT FAILED, REPLACE DISK AND PRESS ENTER" (or something similar). I though this might have been resolved by another reboot (which usually seems to work on many errors) but on this occation it didn't work. After going into the BIOS, I noticed that it wasn't detecting either of the two hard drives that I have on the system, even thought the detection of them have both been set on AUTO. Can anyone please help me with resolving this problem, as I urgently need to have access to the computer.

Thank you all in advance. Your help is greatly appriciated.

That error message usually occurs when a drive has died.

I would remove one of the hard drives from the computer, ensuring that the remaining hard drive had it's jumper set to master/primary.

Repeat with the second hard drive and if one of them gives you the same problem as before, it is almost certainly the culprit and has died.

You also get this message when you have a Floppy Disk in the drive!

It's not that is it?

If not, do as Grenage suggests :)

Problem solved.

Luckly it wasn't as serious as grenage thought. All I did was to disconnect the secondary hard drive, switch the PC on, and once it boots up, shut down and connect the secondary drive on again. Don't have a clue what caused the problem but I think I'l consider myself lucky on this occation.

Thanks you for helping anyway.

Glad to hear it is up and running, perhaps a loose connection.

Back up the data on the drive though, just to be sure. A small effort goes a long way for curing big headaches at a later date.

hi, there,
I got similar problem, but greater,
it was 4 years old laptop
it was IBM 20 GB, the user told me that the system just suddenly off, and I tried the bios, no hard drive detected, I tried with my tools I have (fdisk, sfdisk, pqmaic6,diskman,lformatter1.1 and so on)
all tells me no hard drive found!

and I unplug the drive and try another one, which was found readily....
thanks
wenjun

"up to the brim."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back