Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD Crash - Installing new BCM Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramaning

ISP
Jun 1, 2012
GH
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I have been following up on tips to have my problem resolved but to no success.
I am using Nortel Box BCM 400 and after a power outage, I realized I couldnt ping the IP on it. I did a lot of troubleshooting and got to know the OS cannot not start because the HDD got frozen. I have downloaded an open source version of BCM 400 from Avaya but but dont know how to have it installed. Can any one help me. Thank you.

So do you know the software release of your BCM 400? And what version did u download?

cheers,

explosivegrey

I downloaded a ziped BCM400 file with the following tar files: opensource_content_BCM_40_2.03.tgz, opensource_license_BCM_40_2.03.tgz, ncgl_src_10.12.1.0.tar.gz.

thank you.

You need a real image file to install this BCM again... the question is what kind of licences you have so that you will install the right version... there is a big difference between R3.6/3.7 or 4.0... So what release is running on your bcm 400?

You really need to be on the BCM forum at
However, as stated above the BCM 400 is in many software versions and you need to know which one you have. In your case, I'd connect up a serial port using part of the guide in this link for reference.

Older BCM systems uses Windows NT and this means you could see a different boot up screen compared to the 4.0 Linux version.

It also tells you if your disk is any good, although I tend to use a USB to IDE connector to connect up the BCM disk to my laptop to find out if it's corrupted or has failed etc.

I've had issues with them and have even cleaned them out as they were full of muck and dust.

Also take the time to reseat all the connections. Finally power off the BCM for a good 10 minutes. It could just be a service that's not enabled.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thank you man.
How can I get the image file to download? Can someone show me how to check the licences on my system. I am able to view the files on the HDD and I am see a lot of partitions and when I connected it to a PC, it refuses to load. Thank you.

Can I also request for the preinstalled HDD from avaya or nortel. I saw this from a website

Hard drives
NTAB9947
BCM 3.6 Hard Drive FRU, Programmed (20 GB)
NTAB3455E5
BCM3.7 Hard Drive FRU, Programmed 20GB
NT7B10AAGDE5
BCM 4.0 Hard Drive FRU Programmed (20 GB)

The question is would it work on my unit.
Thank you.

Sure u can also order a preinstalled HDD and it will also work on your unit.... but the question is what release is running on your BCM 400? A BCM 4.0 will not work if you only have the 3.6 licence... except if u upgrade your BCM to 4.0.... So do you have any documentation of what release you have ? Or isnt it written on the BCM or the HDD?
You can also download those image files...

You can download images if you have proper access or call a local vendor to assist.
They can also sell/make you an HD with the right image as well if need, as well they can access the KRS system and try to retrieve info to find out release based on your serial number of the BCM.

I think in the end you will need an authorized vendor regardless to retrieve licenses etc.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Is there a way to retrieve the configuration/settings and the licence from the old HDD? I connected it to an external drive unit and was able to read all the file and folders on it.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back