Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD controller failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've got an old Olivetti computer (486dx66), but I'm having problems installing a hard drive... BIOS can identify the drive (about 8000mb), but after start up tests it just says &quot;HDD controller failure, Press F1 to RESUME&quot;. The hard drive is running and can be identified so the cables must be in order and the size is not the problem because I've tried with <500mb hard drive with the same results. I need help, please... :)

Check the drive is jumpered correctly. Try replacing the ribbon cable. See if you can alter the PIO setting for the hard disk in the BIOS. If it doesn't work with ANY hard disk, then it suggests the controller may be faulty.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Rogers Post is correct
if the contorller has failed then i would remove the current controller and replace it. If the controller is built in to the MB then disable it in the bios. and add another ISA controller card.
Don't forget to diable (IF IT HAS ONE) any of the floppy or serial ports that might conflict with the oned already in the pc.

Good luck
cbordin@windsorgear.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back