Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD appear in Device Manager but not in Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

davikokar

Technical User
May 13, 2004
IT
Hallo,

Yesterday, my recently bought USB external HDD, stopped working correctly. I cannot access the data in it anymore.

I am working with Windows XP. The Device Manager (in Computer Management) displays the HDD, and the properties say "This device is working properly". But in the Disk Management I cannot see the disk. In MyComputer it also does not appear anymore.

I tried the Refresh and Rescan Disks in Disk Management but did not work. I tried to disable/re-enable the disk from the Device Manager but no way.
I tried to plug it in another PC but also without success.

Does someone have a suggestion? Thanks

Well, it's either an issue with the USB connection/controller in the external hard drive or the drive itself. If the data is most important, then I'd suggest removing the drive from the USB enclosure, and trying to access it directly via a SATA connection on your motherboard (or IDE if it happens to be an IDE drive in there, which I doubt).

THEN, if you still can't access the drive's contents, I'd suggest trying some recovery software with it directly attached. Here are some possibilities:

Active Partition Recovery
Active UnDelete
Ontrack Easy Recovery

I'm having the exact same issue and will try your recommendations too.

Wow, this is an old thread. I'm surprised it wasn't locked already.

Since it's reopened...

karerda,

Did you ever try anything suggested here or otherwise? Did you get your issue resolved?

Hallo kjv,

yes I tried to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and plug it directly via SATA, but without success.

The suggested software is not really suitable for this problem: it is software that helps you recover data that was deleted by mistake, or data from a hdd that was formatted by mistake.

Have you tried any of the software, or are you making assumptions? If you've not tried, you don't know for sure. Sometimes WINDOWS cannot see the drive, but these apps may see it anyway.

Also, have you tried any bootable CD options? There are multiple available. One that tries to actually repair the disk. Spinrite I believe is the name of it.

No I haven't tried the software. I read the features on their websites.

I haven't tried any bootable CD option.

When its attached directly can the BIOS see it?

If it can then perhaps the trial version of GetDataBack may show you if the data can be recovered. You could then choose to buy it to recover the data.

Noe if the BIOS can't see it, then I would wager the drive is toast. You haven't yet told us what type of drive it is: SATA or IDE?

If IDE did you jumper the drive correctly?
If SATA, was the port you connected the drive to active in the BIOS?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Phil,

[qoute]You haven't yet told us what type of drive it is: SATA or IDE?[/quote]He did...

yes I tried to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and plug it directly via SATA, but without success.

and he should attempt to try GDB, and if that does not work, then the drive is TOAST...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back