Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD XP to Vista machine, lost data

Status
Not open for further replies.

racherry

MIS
Oct 6, 2002
US
An ASUS mobo machine running XP an NTFS 350g Seagate IDE drive shows 29 gig free and all the data in perfect shape, yet when dropped into a New Gateway with SATA native and one open IDE slot running Vista the Data is gone and showing 297g free. I bring the hard drive back to the ASUS all the data is in perfect shape.

Any ideas?
Thanks
racherry@bellsouth.net

Try importing the drive into Vista? I wonder if it's to do with NTFS ownership of the drive.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Thanks Simon,
Makes a lot of sense, so there is some importing utility within Vista to make this happen??

thanks again simon

I know what your talking about....advanced - security properties....I know this in XP, gotta find it in Vista...........I hate new operating systems

Have a look at Disk Management, I would also have a look to see if there is anything in the event log.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

When the drive is in the XP box, run the Recovery Console, then do a FIXMBR...

as it sounds like the MBR is unreadable for VISTA, probably due to it being cloned or otherwise prepared in the past...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

The XP Drive was a dynamic drive. Vista Home Premium 64bit does not support dynamic drives. Using XP and changing it to Basic drive will lose all the data. I backed up the drive, re-partitioned and formatted the drive in XP, dumped the data back hooked it up to the Vista machine, we're off and runnin'.

Any Vista product with the word 'Home' in the name will not support dynamic drives which are pretty much formatted for Raid and/or redundancy.

Thank you all for you help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back