Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD sector by sector copy program needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMPRepair

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
I am looking for a program that will copy a HD sector by sector to another HD and will also store this image on a HD. I have the program dolly, but am not successful with the image part. I've also seen more negative feedback on dolly in different forums. Would appreciate any help.
My job is fixing arcade games which include HDs that are not your standard HD setups.

Symantec GHOST is the program I've used (and many others on this site) for years. It is easy to use and lots of help can be found here and elsewhere!

Cheers

Thanks braddds, I use Ghost 2K3. It doesn't work on non-FAT or non-linux HD programs. I need something that will work on the non-standard HD programs in the gaming industry.

Just a thought, have you tried Drive Copy? I have used it successfully to copy non-fat and non-linux drives, BUT I don't know if it will make an image for you.

tbirdkid,

No I havn't tried Drive Copy. If it will copy by sectors then I will get a copy.

Thanks

Dellamano Electronics Repair
Jim Dellamano

tbirdkid: Sorry,Drive Copy only works if it can see and recognize the HD, will not see a non-dos HD. I tried,thanks.

diogenes10: Thanks for the link to Paragon, I'll try that next since it claims to copy sector to sector and partition-bounded software on HD.

FYI: For anyone trying to copy non-dos HD's. Dolly does work if you use the DOS command as follows:
(program runs from floppy) A: DOLLY XHD128: X:\*.IMG /M
Copies sectors in small files. Still working on copying HD's that have hidden partitions or some kind of copy protect code on them. Its available at:
(carefully read the how-to text file that comes with it)

Dellamano Electronics Repair
Jim Dellamano

I just downloaded a program (30 day free trial - as far as I can see it is fully functional) called "BootitNG". It is a partition manager, partition/disk - backup/restore utility and boot manager all rolled into one... and it all fits onto a single floppy disk to boot (pun intended). Credit goes to Fred Langa ( ) for this little find. It works on the following OS formats:
Dos, windows (all versions), OS2, Linux, SCO, Solaris, BeOS, QNX...and possibly others. Check it out:

Cheers

was curious-doing a little looking

A computer forensics program that looks interesting and might have the capability you're looking for.

Comments under professional version make it look like a possibility.

Remote possiblity Mcopy on this page.

On rereading your posts and rereading this one-I see this relates to fat partitions and so is probably not useful-I noted it when I first saw it because it had comments about a couple of switches in Ghost--passing it on on remote possibility that info is useful.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back