Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD Ran out of disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccalon

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
GB
The volume arcserve 2000 was installed on ran out of disk space. so of course the arcserve db busted.

I ran dbfix on the database and db seemed to come back online. Came in today and the db engine will not start.

Don't know why I even tried the dbfix, I should have just initialised the db and started from scratch, DOH !!!

And now I can't initialise the db because the service will not start. I LOVE ARCSERVE. I really do not want to have to reinstall the b^^&&&D thing.

Does anybody have any idea's, or a blank db.

Cheers

Do you have a database session on tape ?? from the day you know the database was still OK ?? In that case you can recover the database and have it working again

just a thought

regards

I am going to reinstall arcserve 2000 from scratch next week on a larger volume.

I think I will start with a new db and take it from there.

Has anybody played about with central database management.

cheers

Macca

If you want to use Central DB, make sure you have all the patches installed, and USE SQL SERVER!

Save the details to the Central DB, and don't keep a local copy. It should work ok.

I have had bad experiences with sql db's.

We used sql 7 on win 2k server (not the arcserve server). It was dirt slow. browsing the db, merging.

Eventually the db would turn off every 30 seconds... thats when I went back to vldb.

Is it true you can kick off a job on another server when the job fails on one server with central database configuration.

Cheers

Macca

Where you using the Central DB utility, or connecting via ODBC? There have been a lot of fixes for SQL server/database in general, and it has gotten much better. Unfortunately, the slowness is still there. You just have to weigh slowness when selecting a file for a restore vs. database stability. I believe stability wins out.

The central db does not have that kind of functionaly that I am aware of. The only way to do it is to do some scripting with the pre/post jobs on each server, but I have never done that.

pity..

we were just using odbc...

VLDB is easier to fix if..., I mean WHEN, it busts.

Sql db lasted a quite a long time before we had any problems, but when it went wrong... arcserve support were unable to fix it.

Cheers

Macca

Hi guys,
Yes, you can set up the arcserve server to submit the backup job to another arcserve server to continue the job if it fails for some reason AND you don't need central database configuration to do it. Simply set up an ARCbatch job (read the instructions) and you can submit the job from the failing arcserve server to a working one. I have tried this on a run/now config and it worked fine, and in terms of covering your butt for that one night it works out well indeed. I was quite impressed with this functionality in ARCserve. Theoretically it means you can always have a backup, even if the tape drive explodes! oh and if you have only one tape drive then as a backup to the backup, back it up to disk somewhere until the tape drive problems are sorted. hehehe in terms of missing a backup for one night, there are no excuses now :)

g

I had very brief look at arcbatch a couple of weeks ago, but got side tracked.

I guess I have an in depth look now.

Cheers

Macca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back