Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD problem and format stuck at 12%

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhynoN

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
US
This problem seems very similar if not the same as the one in this thread:

thread751-540581 there was no solution, I thought I would ask...

I noticed on my girlfriend's computer that things were acting strangely (system working very slowly for no apparent reason, strange windows xp problems like the taskbar dissappearing for some users, not being able to move any files around on the disk...).

I was thinking it was a virus, but I didn't find anything with all new virus .dat files aside from a minor macro virus. Anyway, being that this was a store bought machine, and there was tons of "junk" on it, I decided to just backup the important files onto my own computer, format her drive and start with a clean install of Windows XP.

I put her drive in my computer as a secondary to back the stuff up. While copying files from her HD I got some errors with access unavailable. I didn't think much of it at the time because I got all the files she wanted. I should have thought to do a scandisk and/or other diagnostics first, but I didn't.

I went to go install windows xp on her computer, fdisked to delete her FAT32 partition and make a NTFS one. I then started to format...it got to 12% and just hung there. I thought that maybe it was a freeze so I rebooted and tried again...same thing. I then tried doing it from a boot disk, and also reinstalling her HD into my machine as a secondary...same thing...format stays at 12%.

Well, now I'm not sure where to go. It seems to me like a hardware problem, but I haven't run into anything like this before. Does anyone have any tips or know of diagnostic tools I could try?

The HD is: Seagate ATA 66, 20GB 5400rpm.
I won't cry if it can't be fixed but I would like to try. =) I don't have exact specs with me of the HD, but if you need them please let me know.

Thanks!

the first thing to do would of corse be to go on seagate:s site and download their hd dignostic tool. they have a very good one

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the utility tonight when I get home. I'll let you know what I find if anything.

It looks like the hard drive has about 15 bad sectors according to the Seagate utility. Thank you for pointing me towards it. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back