Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD error for V440----solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAF786

MIS
Aug 1, 2005
US
First we start getting these messages in /var/adm/messages,
Then replaced the HD, but again same error. then HD's backplane changed...again same message about sd2 and now I also see same messages for sd1 and sd4, mostly I get error messages for sd2 every 2 hours and this HD has been replaced with new one.

Jan 22 05:31:47 pcdca1 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd
@1,0 (sd2):
Jan 22 05:31:47 pcdca1 Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Retryab
le
Jan 22 05:31:47 pcdca1 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Requested Block: 16183056
Error Block: 16183056
Jan 22 05:31:47 pcdca1 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice] Vendor: HITACHI
Serial Number: 0349S1NS9W

Are these connected by fibre? Have you checked or switched your cables?

Try format / analyze / read on the disk perhaps?

Annihilannic.

guessing it is not the internal disk(s), run format to check which disk is "/pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@1,0" double check what are the internal disks. I agree with Annihilannic, guessing it's a FC problem, FC Hub, FC Cable etc. I have seen many FC errors when i worked for Sun, a disk error message does not necessarily mean the disk is faulty...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

CAF786;

I did some research on this and there is a bug dealing with internal drives errors, which has a patch fix. Public patch is 115665-03 for Solaris 9, the bug id is spectrum contract visible so I can't give you that. I would try installing it to see if it clears up your issues.

Thanks

CA

CAF786;

My bad I just noticed you have solaris 8, look at 115275-02 for solaris 8 public patch.

Thanks

CA

I just check, We have four v440 machines and all 4 machines are getting the same disk errors.

CAF786;

Install the patch and see if it clears up your errors. If you can let me know how things go, I will probably run into this with customers my company has unde contract.

Thanks

CA

I spoke to Sun and they are says that install 116369-10

CAF786;

I looked at that patch it is an update for the disk firmware. Sun has alot of disk firmware issues. I have installed many disk firmware updates so it is a good possibility that is the issue.

Thanks for the info. Let me know how things turn out.

CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back