Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD depleting without using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2008
CA
Hi,
This is my first post.
I have an Acer PC with 320 GB SATA Hard Drive with windows vista home premium and 64 x 2 dual-core processor.
My C Drive is depleting rapidly. Every few days it goes down a Gig or so. It has gone from 140 gigs to 105 gigs. I don't understand. The only thing I have dowloaded with the C Drive is the Nero8 program. I have Windows Live Onecare antivirus on my computer and when I run it it does not detect any virus. What could be wrong?
My D Drive is perfect and does not delete any gigs.
Help?

You need to figure out where the space is going before you can analyze. An excellent utility (not free) is Tree Size Pro. You could do a scan of your hard drive each day and see which folder is bloating up. Then, once you have that knowledge, you can see what type of files are clogging your hard drive.

For SURE the hard drive is not depleting by any magic. Something is being saved on it.

Do you have kids downloading music/movies???

It could be Virtual Memory using Disk space and getting larger.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

computer27

Welcome to the forum. There is a free directory analysis tool that displays graphically what is taking up your hard drive space. It is called WinDirStat and is available here:

Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Not being familiar with V I don;t know if the innards are the same, but if this is a new install you may be seeing the buildup in files in archived spaces.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

My pagefile has grown to 416Mb.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Also if you hibernate your PC, it can be a gigabyte or more. The bottom line is you need to document where the growth is occurring in order to analyze the cause. Could also be Windows updates, which should purge themselves after a period after installation.

C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Had something similar occur here and for me it was the System Restore making huge restore points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back