Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HBA's for Symmetrix 3930

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadCapeland

Technical User
Nov 12, 2003
US
Do I need to use special EMC HBA's for this box? Or can I use standard QLA2200's and Emulex9000's? I'll be running Windows clients.

- Chad

I see there are QLA2200's and Emulex9000's listed, but they are all the -E or -EMC type. Is there something special about them, or can I use off the shelf HBA's without the -E?
Has anyone tried this?

- Chad

But has anyone tried hooking up a non -E HBA? Or even a differnt type, like a QLA2300? It's 2gb/s, but easier to find.

Ok, thanks for the info. Can anyone recommend a comparable array that is less HBA specific?

- Chad

I think the basic question is:
Does a standard off the shelf HBA with the listed firmware and driver qualify for the "-E or -EMC" suffix?
ie: if a QLA2200F has Bios 1.83, does it become a QLA220F-E??

I purchased Emulex HBA's from EMC when we first got our Symmetrix. I spoke with the system engineer and he said it is not necessary to buy from EMC. I purchased Emulex LP9002L without the E and they work fine. They were a couple hundred dollars cheaper also.

Guys, you can use emulex LP8000, LP9002-L with no problem and QLA2300 or whatever model... the standard is the same. I have installed several Symmetrix with Windows and SUN (with PCI bus) servers with Emulex and Qlogic cards... no problem with that.

I personally recommend you the Emulex LP-9002-L.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you. I'm just a little bit nervous when it comes to this stuff.

- Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back