Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HBA driver????? :( 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herzt

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2007
VN
Hi All,

I need all your help. 'Cause I am a newbie in AIX. My p55A server installed AIX 5.3.0.0 and I plug in a new Host Bus Adapter FAStT FC2-133. But my server did not see this card. I tried the following ways:

1. lsdev -cC | grep fcs
nothing appeared

2.cfgmgr

It shows:

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for device support but are not currently installed.
devices.pci.fibre-channel:devices.pci.77100001:devices.pci.77101223:devices.pci.pciclass.0c0400.

How can I do now?

Pls help me soon.

Thank you all for you help.

Herzt

you need to install the device drivers for this new HBA adapter. If IBM sold you this adapter then call AIX support and ask kindly where you can down load the drivers.
the fileset devices.pci.77101223.rte might be on your AIX 5.3 installation CD's but often IBM comes out with new adapters after a copy of AIX was shipped so the driver is not on the CD's.

If you got the HBA's not from IBM or and IBM reseller then call who you bought t he HBA's from and ask forthe AIX device drivers -- not all fibre HBA are supported by IBM with device drivers.

Hope that this helps
LarryBoy

You will need to install the missing device drivers that it was complaining about.

I am not sure if that specific device driver is on the AIX CDs or is that card came with a driver cd... Put the 1st AIX cd (or cd that came with) in the cd drive (dont mount it) and issue this command:

cfgmgr -i /dev/cd0

It will install any device drivers that are missing. If the driver it needs is not on the 1st cd, it "should" prompt you for the cd it needs.

Once thats done, you should be able to see your fibre card via the lsdev command.

ps - if the drivers are not in CD format, then what follow masrolyat said.

Hi sbrews, masrolyat,

I tried your way showed me but it still had problem. After installed driver from CD0. I typed again.

cfgmgr

It showed:

hostname:/:>cfgmgr
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgqfscsi -l fscsi0 ):
0514-061 Cannot find a child device.

How can I do now??

Please help me soon.

Thank you very much

Herzt said:
hostname:/:>cfgmgr
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgqfscsi -l fscsi0 ):
0514-061 Cannot find a child device.

This means that the HBA is not properly connected to either a switch (FC-fabric), hub (FC-AL), or other device...

HTH,

p5wizard

If you dont have a switch or other fibre device to plug the card into yet, you should put in a loop back plug. The card "should" have come with one. With that plug in place you should be able to do a cfgmgr and not get any errors.

Hi p5wizard,

Thanks for your help. I checked my FC and SAN switch connection. It found the light on the SAN switch is not the green color like other.

What should I do now?, Could you give me the advice for this problem?

Thank you

PS. As I did, I connected FC on the server to SAN switch when the power on both is on. Is it okie?

If the fibre switch port is not showing connected, I would do one (or all) of the following:

1.) make sure you have not plugged the transmit from the system into the transmit of the switch (this is possible depending on type of connector on fibre cable)

2.) make sure the port it is plugged in to is functional
IE - not disabled or a bad sfp module on the switch

3.) check the fibre cable - verify that you have end to end connectivity. IE check with flashlight or similar to make sure cable is not broken. Dont look into fibre while its plugged into system or switch - not good for your eyes.

Hi sbrews,

Thanks for you advice. I unpluged my FC on pSeries server then pluged into another server x346 running Windows. The green light flashed both on the FC and SAN switch. My pSeries server's FC had still 2 lights green and orange, when I unplugged the FC cable.

My AIX server is 5.300-05-00.

What should I do now????

:(

Thanks for all your help

Find the loop back plug and run advanced diags with wrap plug test.

Hi Hertz

I couldn't find the HBA you mentioned in the parts listing for the 9133-55A in the IBM sales manual, which would suggest that it's not a supported feature. Is there a 2-character or 4-character code on the faceplate of the HBA? For example, 5704 or 9-Z ?

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

What happens when you try to assign this same fc to a different LPAR on the same system?

Regards,
Khalid

Can you post the output of:

lscfg -vl fcsx

where x is the number of your new fibre card, so we can work out what type of card it is.

HI!

sorry you guy! lastweek i had some problem so could not follow this stuff.and Thanks all of you for help:)

this is out put as DukeSSD as:
hostname:/:>lscfg -vl fcs0
fcs0 U787B.001.0000000-P1-C3-T1 FC Adapter

Network Address.............210000E08B844CCD
ROS Level and ID............49535020
Device Specific.(Z0)........00000000
Device Specific.(Z1)........00000119
Device Specific.(Z2)........49535020
Device Specific.(Z3)........20200002
Device Specific.(Z4)........00040508
Device Specific.(Z5)........00010000
Device Specific.(Z6)........00010000
Device Specific.(Z7)........00000000
Device Specific.(Z8)........210000E08B844CCD
Device Specific.(Z9)........ISP
Device Specific.(YL)........U787B.001.0000000-P1-C3-T1

I alredy install: devices.pci.df1000f7.com,devices.pci.df1000f7.rte,devices.pci.df1000f9.rte,devices.fcp.disk.array.rte,devicess.fcp.disk.array.diag

So what to do now!!

Thanks
herzt

You call IBM or the business partner / VAR you bought it from and tell them you have a 280B fibre adapter (feature code 5716) with the "bad vpd" problem and they will either send you a fix or send an engineer to fix it for you.

We had some of these and they had a manufacturing problem, the VPD - vital product data was not written to the card correctly during manufacture. the command outout should look like this:

fcs1 P1-C1-T1 FC Adapter

Part Number.................80P4543
EC Level....................A
Serial Number...............1A31600450
Manufacturer................001A
Feature Code................280B
FRU Number.................. 80P4544
Device Specific.(ZM)........3
Network Address.............10000000C9332A79
ROS Level and ID............02881914
Device Specific.(Z0)........1001206D
Device Specific.(Z1)........00000000
Device Specific.(Z2)........00000000
Device Specific.(Z3)........03000909
Device Specific.(Z4)........FF801315
Device Specific.(Z5)........02881914
Device Specific.(Z6)........06831914
Device Specific.(Z7)........07831914
Device Specific.(Z8)........20000000C940F419
Device Specific.(Z9)........TS1.90x13
Device Specific.(ZA)........T1D1.90x13
Device Specific.(ZB)........T2D1.90x13
Device Specific.(YL)........U7879.001.DQD0JHD-P1-C1-T1

As you see on your card the important bit at the top is missing. Once you get this fixed cfgmgr will correctly identify the card and ask for the correct drivers and you should be up and running.

hi! DukeSSD

I got your idea but when i put this card on IBM X346 running windows server 2003, all the information you sad missing i can see it on windows.So do you have any ideas about, why when i put FC card on AIX it can not indentify.

If you have any documents about setup SAN, GPFS could you pass it to me, so maybe i can control it

Thanks for help

regards

Herzt

Hertz

Sounds like you've got an HBA that's designed for system x, not for system p. Earlier in this thread I asked you to state the code on the faceplate of the HBA (So when you look at the back of the server with the HBA installed, what is the code that you can see)

Each system p compatible HBA has a unique code (either xxxx or x-y format) that allows us to identify it.

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Or stick it in the x system and then post the above info so we can see the missing bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back