Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hayes Modem Won't Install on XP (SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I tried to reinstall my modem today and am getting nowhere. I goto the Phone and Modem section of the Control panel. Choose add a modem. Click that I will chose it myself. Choose Have Disk. Browse to the ACFSerSK.INF file. Click OK. Nothing shows up.

So I installed a standard modem (in XP) the 5600 one. It installs. Then I update the driver to the Hayes ini file - and it comes up as a Hayes modem = everything looks good. But it won't work. It doesn't communicate. The modem query gets nowhere.

Anybody know an alternate way of installing one. Or a solution. It could be the modem? Power goes on, but perhaps it's gone.

Fixed it. Wasn't the modem or XP. It was the serial port - was dirty and had a sort of plastic bit loose. Took the computer panels off, cleaned it, pushed the loose part back in place. Got another modem in the mean-time (free from a back-room storage of a company I used to work for - they found it too cheap to put on Ebay). But that modem wasn't compatible with my answering machine software. But it lead me to the clean-the-computer and check connections routine. Both installed and were then recognised. Actually reinstalling was by plug and play. Should have suspected that since P&P wasn't kicking in there was something up - but I just thought it was in the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back