Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having two internet domain names on one exchange 5.5 server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseman

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2000
US
I work for a company that is actually two-in-one.  Although we are going to bring both companies under one internal NT domain (as soon as possible) the owners want to have two separate internet domain names so that email can be directed to the right person by the company they actually work under.  Can you (and how do you) place two internet domains on one Exchange 5.5 server?  The two names will be "apsmedbill.com" and "ucbinc.com".  Again both comapnies will be under one internal NT 4.0 domain.  We will be hosting our own web-site and we will have a permanent conection to the internet.

In my opinion, It is possible.<br>The machine which runs Exchange Server must have 2 IP adresses linked with one NIC: <br>one address for domain apsmedbill.com <br>one address for domain ucbinc.com<br>e-mail addresses of the recipients must reflect your organisation.

Alternatively:<br><br>Have the existing Exchange server stay as is. In the Exchange Administrator IMS screen there is a routing tab where you can route the other domain internally.<br><br>Then you set up the other domain as an A Name that points to your main domain.<br><br>eg<br><br>Server set as apsmedbill.com and working for all employees. Add ucbinc.com in the routing table set as inbound. Get your ISP to create an alias for the mail record of ucbinc.com to point to apsmedbill.com.

You definitely can. You have to go to the IMS properties page and add BOTH domains to the routing tables as inbound AND also under the recipients properties, add both email address for BOTH emails domains to every users. The Internet domains is not dependant on the NT Domain<br><br>

Is there a way to test the above workaround. Before you transfer domains?

You don't need to test it. It works and I'm currently using it. I have 2 domains both pointing to the same DNS info and to the same control 'mailbox' provided by my ISP.

My Exchange Server pull all mail from the control mailbox and I then have each domain indentified in the INBOUND routing tables. Although I typically do a 'manual' setup for those using the secondary (second company) domain name since they are far fewer. Works perfectly. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back