Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble with panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred2376

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
US
For some reason I am getting the error "Illegal characters or statement type found in )ATTR section". I tried to construct a panel exactly as I saw it from a referance and this came up. I then called a panel that already existed and it worked fine. Then I copied the panel and tweaked it some what and it still worked. But all of a sudden after modifying it I can not get this panel to work or the one that I copied. The only thing that seemed to happen was reguarding the numbering standers. I think that I am missing some sort of format problem and keep getting this error. I really appreciate any sort of help that I can get. Thanks

If I were you I would check to make sure I didn't have any sequence numbers in columns 73-80.

If you do just type NONUM on the IPSF panel's command line and it should get rid of them.

It may also help if you can post the offending panel source.

I did the NONUM and I still am getting the same error. Here is the code:

)Attr
| type(text) intens(high)
type(text) intens(low)
~ type(input) intens(high) caps(on)
} type(input) intens(low) caps(on)
type(input) intens(low) caps(off)
# type(output) intens(high)
)Body

Again, this worked before and even when I copied the whole file and tweaked it, but now I am getting that error. Talk about frustrating.

Hmmmm

Another thing to check is that you haven't got any unwanted hex codes in the line anywhere.

Do a

F p'.'

and make sure that there are no hex codes that you didn't expect anywhere.

Outside of this I would check to make sure that I am not picking up a panel of the same name from somewhere else that I wasn't aware of. (I have had this happen before)

I tried your suggestion and still the same. I have now tried calling several other panels all with the same responce reguarding the ATTR section. All from a program that was working before. Is there anything that might be a setting on the userid or anything along these lines. I am still pretty new to this enviorment and not to familiar with anything except the coding. Thanks again

A thought, NONUM will move change the edit profile, it doesn't necessarily remove existing numbers - worth a look?

In this code you posted;

)Attr
| type(text) intens(high)
type(text) intens(low)
~ type(input) intens(high) caps(on)
} type(input) intens(low) caps(on)
type(input) intens(low) caps(off)
# type(output) intens(high)
)Body

there are blank attribute identifiers for the second text and 3rd input definitions, as well as a space before the body identifier - I assume these are all characters which didn't translate into the post?

If you want you can e-mail me the whole panel and I could have a proper look.

Sorry to just get back now, was out of town for a few days. What I wound up doing, is copying one panel that I knew that worked and then editing what I need it to do. BUt I am still experiencing some sort of wierd problem with my panels. In the code below, I call a panel(NPNL) that passes a variable(im00stnd) back to the program and evaluates in the select portion. Everything seems to work fine, excpet when I call the panel(NPNL1). It does not produce an error, but does not pull it up. Now if I replace the first call panel with 'NPNL1' , it pulls it up. And the same goes if I call 'NPNL' in the second panel display it will also come up. But for some reason I cant get it to work this way. It is pretty frustrating becuase everything else works.

"ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(npnl)"
if im00stnd = 1 /* AND IM00PROF ='' AND IM00APPL = ''*/THEN
select
when im00stnd = 1 then do
'EXECIO * DISKR FL1 (FINIS STEM IN.'
STN1 = IN.1
STN2 = IN.2
STN3 = IN.3
STN4 = IN.4
STN5 = IN.5
'ISPEXEC DISPLAY PANEL(NPNL1)'
out.1 = STN1
out.2 = STN2
out.3 = STN3
out.4 = STN4
out.5 = STN5
'EXECIO * DISKW FL2 (stem out. finis' /*write new info*/
End

Again, any help or advice at all would be great.

Thanks

I would suggest that you need to use an IF.. THEN.. DO when you test IM00STND before the SELECT - it's possibly not even executing the panel display. I assume you have left out a lot of code like the OTHERWISE and END for the SELECT.

I would also suggest you do a text of the return code after the panel display - something like;

Address 'ISPEXEC' "Control Errors Return"
Address 'ISPEXEC' "Display Panel(NPNL1)"
if rc > 0 then do
say zerrsm '- return code 'rc
say zerrlm
end
Address 'ISPEXEC' "Control Errors Cancel"

At worst do a TRACE R and see exactly what parts of your REXX code are executing.

I ran the return code script that you suggested and received a code of '8'. Is that an Unexpected THEN or ELSE error? When I put a test line(say 'Test123') before and after the panel call, the lines are both printed out, so I know that it is getting to the display command. I have tried multiple ways to call panels and I am able to only display the same panel that I called initially, no matter which one that is. I can never display a different panel then the one I initially called. Is there a command or something that I am missing to end the first panel and then allow me to display a different one?

The return code 8 is when you hit PF3 while in the panel - if you had a panel error you would get a RC of 20. It seems strange the panel is not displaying but returning a code 8, almost like a NODISPL is being called.

If you want you can EM the code (rexx and panel) to me at john uscore s uscore nz at excite dot com.

KiwiREXXDude - I feel like and idiot. After reading your post I realized that the problem was that I was hitting F4 because it said enter on the bottom, and it was still processing the variables so I thought that it was ok to do. I am sorry for wasting your time. I am still learning, but when I do stupid things, that frustrates me to no end. Again, thanks for the time and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back