Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble getting on the internet through the firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRODRIG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2000
US
Visit site
I can get on the internet when using the firewall machine, but when I try using the net on another machine it does not work. Please help me.

Do you have the other networks(s) setup on the address translation side .. also you have to setup a rule to allow your internal network(s) or workstations out along with a route in your routing table on your firwall server .. What platform are you running your FW-1 on?

I am also having a similar problem...<br><br>I have a DSL router, the FW sits between the router and my privet network. I can ping the external side of the FW from inside and I can ping my side of the router from inside but I can't go beyond that. I think it's a nat problem but I can't figure it out. I have my privet network object defined and the hide address is the public side of the FW. <br>here is a little picture...<br><br>intnet------DSLR-------FW--------win98<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;--------------------good<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;---------------------&gt;good<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;xx&lt;---------------------------bad&nbsp;&nbsp;

I amhaving the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can ping the internal and external interface from the inside (I took out the Stealth Rule to verify this), I can ping the inside and anywhere outside from the fw machine, but I cannot go from the 10.0.0.0 net inside to the outside. The log viewer shows that it is accepting the packets, but no replies come back.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm sure this is a routing problem, I just don't know where.

i can get(telnet FTP HTTP etc...) from the internal (10.) network to my other (216.) network inside of the router but I can't get beyond the router. I added a route to a machine in the 216. network and i can get into the privet 10. network So i know my IP forwarding is working. domain-udp is being rejected (rule 0) from the fw itself so I can not get from the FW to the internet. I know that &quot;rule 0&quot; is anti-spoffing and I keep messing with is and have had no luck.<br><br>this is driving me nuts...but I love it...help<br><br>

Max300i,<br><br>Do you have an IP range object defined? you need to do that and set it to NAT. Also you can set a static route on a machine outside of the FW showing the route to the 10.network give the external interface of the firewall as the gateway. and you should be able to get a reply from both sides<br>

I am all set!<br><br>My Fire Wall is working as it should. Here is what I did worng...<br><br>I had a default gateway for the 10. network card, so forwarding was working but it was by passing the NAT set up in the FW config I removed it and now it is working fine. I also add a ip address to the public side of the FW using the &quot;arp -s&quot; command but i don't think that was needed. Again as soon as I removed the default gateway for the 10. network card it worked.<br><br>Superdog...<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back