Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble getting a value out of a BSC_DropDownMenu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBEmslie

Programmer
Jun 16, 2005
US
I have a BSC_DropDownMenu pulling a list from a DB. The control is being populated correctly for presentation.

However, I want the selected item (multiple items = False) to become the value of a parameter/variable. That is not happening, thus the report is not running correctly.

For simple key-entry BSC controls, I just put the desired parameter name in the BSC_CorrespondingParameterName property and the pre-defined parameter gets the value at run-time. With a drop down box, that property has to be the DB column that I want to populate the list with. So... I have to find another way to take the selected value out of the control and put it into the pre-defined parameter.

I have tried to use the GetValue() function in various ways and in various locations. It gets a compile error for not having a property associated - even when I am specifying the BSC_DropDownMenu control by every different way I can think of.

I've created a memory variable and I think I have associated it with the BSC_DropDownMenu control by putting it in the ObjectVariable property. But I have had no luck referencing it anywhere else I thought (based upon timing of the firing of the controls) it would work. It either ignores it or complains about an invalid reference (of some kind.)

Nothing works! Can anybody suggest a way to accomplish this?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any assistance you can render.

Regards,
Jeff Emslie.

Jeff,

Have you had any success with the BSC_DropDownMenu yet? I am trying to do the EXACT same thing. I can correctly populate my drop down lists (from our database) that are presented for user selection. The twist is in capturing the selected value and using it to filter down the second dropdown list. I am using Actuate 8.

The samples that came with the product do not go this far. The Quinn Customers seems close but something is missing and it is difficult to debug Browser Scripting Controls since obviously they won't run in the Actuate IDE.

I hope you have progressed and can share the knowledge. Even if you have not I would be interested in knowing that.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back