Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having Trouble getting a Frameset to show up in a Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

phototaker

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
US
This may be a simple problem but it has me stumped so far. I am having trouble geting a frameset of a top and bottom frame to show up in browser. I would aperciate help. I have been over the process several times but must be mising something. I have tried with macintosh and pc. Thanks in advance Richard

Richard
Gimme a bit more info can you? so you have a frameset with 2 frames? top and bottom? what contact have you in the frames? What version os browsers are you using?

can you post the URL till i get a look?

thanx

doh...*what CONTENT do you have in the frames?*

(i hate mondays)

The content of the top frame is a navigation bar and logo and the bottom frame has a HTML document. When I preview the pages independently they both show up but as a frameset it doesn't show up. I do not have the page up yet because I am trying to preview it first on my machine. I have a mac os8.6 and the pc is W/2000.
Richard

You will need to post the html code in the frameset Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Here is the code
<html>
<head>
<title>Frame layout</title>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;>
</head>
<frameset rows=&quot;*,170&quot; frameborder=&quot;NO&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; framespacing=&quot;0&quot; cols=&quot;*&quot;>
<frame name=&quot;nagivation&quot; src=&quot;/Marina%20header.html&quot; scrolling=&quot;NO&quot;>
<frame name=&quot;content&quot; scrolling=&quot;YES&quot; noresize src=&quot;/With%20Home.html&quot;>
</frameset>
<noframes>
<body bgcolor=&quot;#FFFFFF&quot; text=&quot;#000000&quot;>
</body>
</noframes>
</html>

AND the preview browser says no such file and the address is &quot;file:///Macintosh%20HD/public.html2/TMP50eisdryqf.htm&quot;
Thanks for the reply -Richard

richard when you save your frameset you save multiple files...ie for you you have a top frame which is one page.then the bottom frame which is another page.then you have the frameset which ties it all togehter. ie your framset is named index.htm it wil lencompass topframe navbar and bottom frame main both with .htm extensions. So in all you have 3 webpages. You open index htm and you get _top and _main as two frames from there if you navbar is in top and have a link there that you wnat the main page to go to you will target that link as _main

hope this helps
[afro]

Are you trying to achieve a frameset with a top, middle and bottom frame, because the code you posted is for a two frame frameset; one autostretching top frame and a static bottom frame.

If so you would need something like:

Code:
<frameset rows=&quot;50,*,170&quot; frameborder=&quot;NO&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; framespacing=&quot;0&quot; cols=&quot;*&quot;> 
  <frame name=&quot;nagivation&quot; src=&quot;/Marina%20header.html&quot; scrolling=&quot;NO&quot;>
<frame name=&quot;content&quot; scrolling=&quot;YES&quot; noresize src=&quot;/With%20Home.html&quot;>
<frame name=&quot;bottom&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; noresize src=&quot;/baseline.html&quot;>
</frameset>
Derren

No, I only want two frames, one on top with the header containing a logo and nagivation bar. The bottom frame will display the pages linked to the naqgivation bar in the top. That is all I am trying to do. I must be missing something because it just isn't happening so far. Any help would be appreciated. Richard

Load your site somewhere.
I'm betting your browser won't preview local sites in frames properly.
Get a free site with geocities of somewhere like that and load it.

I've got 2 cents that reckons everything is fine.

Can you see the content in the dreamweaver window then?

What happens when you open the frameset file from the browser by going &quot;file>open&quot; instead of previewing from dreamweaver?

One thing I will say, before we go through creating a frameset from scratch, is that at the moment your smaller, fixed page is the content and the header is going in the larger, expanding section. Swap the frameset figures around from rows=&quot;*,170&quot; to rows=&quot;170,*&quot;

If none of these fix it, create a new file, open the objects panel, choose to view the frames set of buttons and click on the third button (top fixed, bottom stretch). Open the frames panel and the properties inspector. Click on the topframe in the frame panel and in the properties panel, choose the &quot;src&quot; of the file for your header. CLick on the bottom frame and do the same. Then &quot;file>save frameset as&quot;

This is the fastest way. Derren

Hi - I copied your code and saved it as html and it works, so it seems to me your source files are in a path different from what you have typed, you should keep the source files for the frames in the same folder as the opening page and type just the name of the source pages i.e src=&quot;blah.html&quot;.
I suppose using Dreamweaver this may be difficult for you as you are expecting it to be correct but if you make sure that the path indicated as the src is exactly the same as the actual path then it will work.

okeddy

I've copied your code too and it works fine.

Load to a server and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back