Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having touble with 2000/xp networks in multiple locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjonkz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2003
US
Introduced some new xp machines into some 2000 location networks and they will not see each other!?

Also reloaded xp on two machines in a network where every one did see each other and now they do not!

I made use all the networking software was installed, systems had shared folders and files, and even changed name of the workgroups(small district offices) were changed and everyone rejoined but no go!?!?!?

Any idea! They see the broadband just fine, and get on line but do not see each other, they go to router with cable modem!?

Thanks ahead of time!

Fundamentally, for WinXP in any environment its problems "seeing" other Workgroup members or the Domain is a DNS problem.

Please see the FAQ I wrote, as you need to make absolutely certain that your DNS entries are appropriate for XP as a client. What could well have worked with NT or Win9x clients, and worked slowly with Win2k clients, may not work at all with XP as a client.

faq779-4017

I'm having similar problems. My Win 98 & XP home see each other fine. My XP pro can not be seen or see the other machines in network places yet I can ping everything. This is on home network going through router for Internet connection. All computers see the Internet. At one time it did work but during a security down load form microsoft it ceased to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back