Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having to release and renew in winipcfg all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanquartz

Instructor
May 15, 2002
AU
I have a classroom full of computers all hooked up to Netware 5 and the Internet, and I've just ghosted an image on them all. The problem I'm having is that I have to release and renew through winipcfg every time the computers are restarted.

Any ideas? Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

allan

What OS are you running? ANd what lease do you have on DHCP? Have you thought of putting an IPCONFIG/RENEW in a batch file in the Startup directory? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

That would work, but that would be just a workaround. I would say you have an issue with you ghosted image. On the original workstation you created the Ghost image from, does it have the same issue? I bet it does.

Fix the problem on the original and create a new Ghost image.

Good Luck!

The OS we are using is W98 SE. I'm not sure about the leases. What I have now done is add a ReleaeseLeaseOnShutdown to the registry. This works on startup but the problem persists between logins.

how long is your lease set for? if it's days, why are users renewing? what is the dhcp server? actually, why do users need to renew? is there an IP problem you should be fixing?

rick

Our Win 98SE machines also had this problem. We did a packet capture of the negotiations between the DHCP server and the workstations and it was found that the workstations(Win98SE) do not follow the correct protocol for requesting a renewal on their IP address. Funny as it seems though is that if you force it, either with a manual release/renew or script it like at login, which we do, it works fine. We too have put a band-aid on it and hope to one day find a cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back