Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problems with old school Squirrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkedorsey

Technical User
Jul 12, 2007
We have an incredibly old (albeit usually reliable) Squirrel NT DOS based system, and after having the power supply die on one tower and moving the hard drive, ram, fan, etc. to a new tower, one of the two terminals doesn't work. It's strange because the other one is working fine, and all the cords were plugged in correctly.

There is about fifty feet of separation between my dungeon (er, Office) and the front of house, so I'm presuming it's some cord connection issue. Anyone have any ideas?

The workstation that does not work:

- does it say "loading program page 0" on it and just stay there?
- Is it highlighted on the Host Processor Log Screen after you start POS?

I know you probably have done this many time -- but can you re-check the connections at the workstation side. Make sure you don't have the printer cable (typically blue) plugged into the communication (typically red) port -- or have the cables swapped -- they aren't interchangeable. Blue banded cables are for printers, red banded cables for communication.

Also -- you should have 4 "telphone cord like" connections into the Host PC -- these must be plugged in a particular order (I could see this brining down only one workstation, or a workstations & a printer for example). If you don't have these -- then you most likely have a rocket port card, which is a little different and shouldn't be a problem.
Did you transfer a long card like object into the new PC? (Octal card)

Do you have an electrical box like unit -- called a converter panel? If you do, can you open it up and ensure that there are lights on every card inside that box -- if there's a module that's not functioning, it would need to be replaced.

If you forward me your email & some contact info, I could probably help you directly over the phone and/or give you some info to contact me directly.

If it worked before -- there's no reason why it shouldn't work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back