Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problems with logging on to host with pcanywhere v10 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

klobba

Technical User
Aug 11, 2001
AU
heya everyone,
This is the first time I've used pcanywhere. I'm using v10.
Here is the situation. I set up the home pc as the remote and the server at the video store as the host. They aren't sharing printers or anything. This remote control connection is being used so that the owners of the video store can connect to their server at the store and check their sales for the day, without them having to physically be there.
I've installed the program on both computers and allocated the remote and host roles. I've set up the caller id on the host computer for the remote comp.
When I try to log on to the host comp, a window pops up saying that it's connecting to the host and it shows the number it's dialling into, BUT!, it has another phone number in front of it [eg. 9933 4232, then the area code, then the phone number I'm trying to call]. Does it matter that the number I'm trying to is the fax number? Anyway after it does that, a black window pops up and it asks for the username, I enter that, I press enter then it asks for the password, the cursor won't move no matter I press. I found out on the symantec website that you should press the tab key or move the cursor but it won't move to the password unless I press enter. I'm at a loss what to do
One last thing, when I was setting up the modem on the host, I couldn't get the right drivers for it so it was left as a standard modem. After I installed pcanywhere I got the right drivers for the modem. Would this have caused the problem with being unable to log in to the host?
Both comps are running win 98.
I would appreciate any help, great or small!
thanx
sylv

Sylv,

Since your connecting to the computer and getting the login screen, the phone number issue dosnt seam to be a problem.

One thing you may want to do is check the encription level on both machines. I would set them for the pcAnywhere encription and deny lower encription levels.
If that does not work you may wish to reinstall pcAnywhere on the remote machine.

If this does not work let me know and we can try something else.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to let them and others know the information was of use.

Hello,
Chuck is right. Setting your security levels the same at both machines should fix your problems. PcAnywhere encription and deny lower levels is the best.
Benito

thanx Chuck and Benito. Maybe that was the problem because I didn't set any encryption levels when I installed it.
thanx for your help
sylv

I have had the same problem with pcanywhere 10. I've used pcanywhere since the first version and each new version had its own problems. I tried Laplink and Gotomypc with each of them having their own problems. I heard about Timbuktu and have used it for about three weeks now. It is easy to setup and use and remarkably stable. You do not need to have a fixed (static) IP address on your computers if you use DSL. Overall I have not found a problem so far. You can download and try it for 30 days. I think when your done evaluating it you may decide to pitch pcanywhere rather than be aggravated wasting time trying to get it to work like it is supposed to. In addition I have found Timbuktu to have good, prompt technical support. I have nothing to do with the company but thought I would give them a plug considering all the hours I wasted on pcanywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back