Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having Problems with 3COM 3c509 TP ISA card and RH 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV1772

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm a brand newbie to Linux and just installed RH 9.0 on my old Dell XPS R400. It's using an old 3COM 3c509 TP NIC. The installation seems to have detected the card because when I type in dmesg it returns:

eth0: 3c5x9 at 0x330, 10baseT port, address 00 20 af 1e 78 5c, IRQ 15.
3c509.c:1.19 16Oct2002 becker@scyld.com

eth0: Setting 3c5x9/3c5x9B half-duplex mode if_port: 0,sw_info: 1310

eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.

With this information (specifically IRQ=15 and IO=0x330) I tried using the Network Device Utility to configure the NIC's hardware settings. After I saved the settings and tried to activate the card, I keep getting the messages:

"Cannot activate network device eth0"

"Determining IP information for etho... failed"

I have the card to automatically obtain IP address settings with DHCP.

Has anyone run into a problem like this? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

After reading posts in some other groups (linuxquestions.org is a great place), I found out that it was a resource conflict. The ISA slot that contained my NIC had an IRQ that was conflicting with my IDE controller. I switched the card with another ISA slot and the NIC worked immediately!

This made sense because prior to making the switch I got error messages like:

"SCIOSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy. Failed to bring up eth0)

Hope this info helps others.

Hi!

I am using Suse 8.0 Professional

Once I tried to assing dynamic IP Address to my ethernet card using DHCP, DHCP was configured correctly, but I noticed that DCHP needs at least that the ethernet card installed on the DHCP server has an static IP Adress,

Best Regards!!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back