Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problem adding a w2k server to PowerChute

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I've used the PowerChute software on many servers but I'm unable to get this one working. I have a SmartUPS 1000. This unit is connected via USB to a W2003 server. I installed the agent, then the server and finally the console software on the windows 2003 server. When I run the Device locator (can't remember the exact name), it finds the server that's directly connected to the USB. Then I click on Add and the server is added without problems. On my second server (windows 2000 server), I install the agent. Then back on my windows 2003, go to Device locator thing and it does discover my second server (by it's IP). However when I click on Add, it says FAILED to apply configuration to Profile. I checked the knowledge bases of APC, I rebooted both servers many times, made sure the agent is running... Made sure the Username/PW is ok, uninstalled/reinstalled agent/console/server. Still no go ? Any ideas ?

Thanks
anthony

I too am having problems with this....just wondering if you have found a solution since this post?

Hi engel420,

Yup I found the reason, there isn't a "direct" solution for this. Please see this thread :
Basically if you want to monitor EACH server, you must either have one UPS PER SERVER ou use a INTERFACE EXPANDER to allow multiple communication cables (one from each server) to be connected to ONE single UPS. In the above thread, I proposed a solution that I use now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back