Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having a problem with authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuttleButt

Programmer
May 17, 2000
US
I am confused. I am using SQL Server 2000. Initially I set up SQL as Windows only authentication. The problem was that my Intranet server could not connect; it is running Windows 2000. For some stupid security reasons the administrator disabled all IUSR_ accounts. So it was having problems getting connected. My desktop (also Windows 2000) connected just fine through both the DSN and through the SQL enterprise manager/query analyzer with Windows authentication (working good for a month now). I finally gave up on the Windows thing and changed the SQL server to both Windows and SQL authentication. I created an new user in SQL and used that for the Intranet server's DSN info. Works great but NOW I can't get my desktop to connect either way (DSN or thru SQL). The message it gives me is something like, "the server is not started or access has been denied" (or something like that). What did I do to mess up my desktop's connectivity and what can I do to fix it?

Please explain how are you trying to connect: from tools like query analyzer or from a programming environment like .net or access?

More, disabling IUSR_accounts will only affect the applications connecting from the web server to SQL.
On the desktop make sure you have changed the DSN parameters to reflect the change to SQL authentication.

If you port the DSN parameters may be someone can help !

When I say connect for SQL tools, I mean that I registered a new server in my client-side enterprise manager and I have to "connect" when I get into the query analyzer. I was working fine while I was setting things up. My was also connecting through the Intranet when I was testing things, all using windows authentication when the SQL on the server was set to "Windows Only." BUT when I went to put my creation on the Intranet server it would not connect through the Web and I think it was because the IUSR_machine name was disabled. The administrator could not seem to make a global user on the machine that the SQL server would acknowledge thru the Web. I kept getting a message stating that the annoymous login was denied access.

I gave up and changed the SQL server to both Windows and SQL authentication. I added a new user in the SQL enterprise manager ->security. I called this guy "intranet" and gave him a password of "intranet." I put these params in the DSN and now the Intranet server connects (thru the web) fine. However, when I got onto my SQL enterprise manager on my desktop it no longer recognizes the server registration I had used previously. I've tried to create a new one and I can see the SQL server but my connection fails on the last step of the wizard. It says, "SQL server does not exist or access denied connectOpen(connect())."

It all seems weird to me I have used SQL on several machines at different locations and have not had any of these problems. I work at a military installations and the administrator at this current site is a little "green" at this stuff. He has no clue about SQL so he is relying on me which is okay but I have little clue about networks and users and stuff so getting them together is a little difficult. I am sure it is something simple that I've done but I don't know what it is. Thanks.

I figured out what I did wrong and yes, it was simple. When I changed over to Windows and SQL authentication, I left the SQL server (in the enterprise manager in SQL) set at windows authentication. WHen I changed that to SQL authentication and gave it the sa user name and password I was able to connect from my client tools on my desktop. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back