Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having a problem getting Cluster Se

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo2

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2002
GB
Having a problem getting Cluster Service
installed/started. I have noticed when the cluster driver is loaded the external disks are unavailable, they are listed but not accessible, they can be accessed OK when the
Cluster Disk Driver is disabled or the Cluster Service de-installed. In fact the server has running with this hardware for 3 years with access to disks OK in a non-cluster setup. It is being rebuilt and I would like to use the cluster service with the option of adding a second server at a later point.

The eventlog error is 1009, which means is unable to create or join a cluster, no hardware errors are produced.

The machine in question is a Compaq Proliant 1600 with
SmartArray 3200 controller, the external storage is a
Compaq Proliant External Storage unit. This is the only
machine involved for just now.

Both the Server and Array controller have had the latest rompaqs installed, with no change.

Anybody had a similiar problem?

TIA JOhn

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If that 3200 array controller is internal to the server, that may be the issue. If you want to use an array controller to control the disks in the external storage, the array controller must be built into external storage unit, not the server. If it was in the server, how do you connect another server to the drives?

Cluster services should be looking for some shared storage to use as the quorum drive. If you don't have any shared storage, I don't think it will even let you install cluster services. My guess is that it thinks the 3200 is shared storage, but finds out it isn't when it tries to start the serivices.

-Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back