Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have you ever heard of this? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Int15

MIS
Jun 28, 2000
US
I did all the necessary steps for the network <br>logon discovery and client installation.<br>I can collect and other things except for Remote Control.<br>&nbsp;<br>First, it discovered all the DC and made them logon points, but I'm not sure the client software was installed on them.<br><br>Because, I can collect inventories and other things, but can't use the remote control on DCs.<br><br>And, I can't see the applet in the control Panel either. I checked the Systems Management applet, Component, and nothing installed.<br><br>What seems to be the problem?<br>Anyone?<br><br>P.S. One quick question:<br><br>If I enabled the remote installation and Network Discovery, Would it discover all the clients? If so, anyway I can install the client software on only DCs? <br><br>Thanks.<br><br><br><br>&nbsp;

A good starting point would be to look at the remote control log file on the domian controllers in question.<br><br>On your domain controllers, go to C:\WINNT\MS\SMS\Logs and open the RemCtrl.log.&nbsp;&nbsp;It might indicate what error occured with installing remote control. <p>Tom Thaden<br><a href=mailto:thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov>thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Did you have a previous SMS 1.2 set up.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there anything in the login script or the build of your pcs that is asking the clients to download the 1.2 clients that no longer exist.<br><br>There is a log file that tells you whether what stage the remote control component got to before it stopped installing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I cant remember the path to the file right now, but i will get it when i get back to work tomorrow.<br><br>That log file should throw some light on what's happened to the Remote Ctrl.&nbsp;&nbsp;Im sure it's started installing but has hung or something.<br><br>I'll be back with the path tomorrow.

Check out your c:\winnt\ms\sms\clicomp\remctrl\install.log to see what's happening to the remote control component.

I'm back with this.<br><br>Struggling with it for a while, I think the first thing (maybe the best thing) you can try is to reboot the machine which has a problem with remote control (Even Hotkey).<br>&nbsp;<br>After rebooting my DCs once or twice, I got them to work.<br>Sounds silly, but it worked like a magic. <br>(I checked this with other SMS administrators) <br><br>I hope this might be helpful for those who encountered the same problem.<br><br>P.S. Thank you lola and trunk...&nbsp;&nbsp;: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back