Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have two Windows XP's at startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaser

Technical User
Jul 27, 2003
US

I recently was having trouble with my Windows XP Professional OS and decided to do a restore from the Microsoft’s CD. So I ran the CD and went until I came to the restore, but I needed the administrator’s password, which I didn’t know so I had to stop. That is where the problem starts. Now I have two windows Xp Professional bootable OS to chose from.

1. Windows XP Professional
2. Windows XP Professional Setup (incomplete).

How do I remove Windows XP Professional Setup from startup so I don’t have to chose every time I reboot
I can access the administrator when I am booted, just can’t from CD

bcastner, nope, just get a flash and cannot read it, it is to fast. I rebooted, but still there.

You can use this tool for some very fast boot.ini editing:

Start, Run, Cmd

bootcfg /query && determine ID values
bootcfg /delete /ID x && as in my note above
bootcfg /default /ID x && set the default OS entry
bootcfg /timeout xxx && set the xxx second for default

And some other cool things.

OK, now Windows Xp Professional is gone, but is replaced with:
1. Windows XP Professional
2. Windows (default)
I still have to select and Windows (default) is first choice.
So I ran it again, no luck.

Sorry, I meant Windows XP Professional Setup is gone. I will try your last post. Thanks for the fast comeback.

bcastner, any ideas on how I get rid of the;
2.Windows "default"?
I tried your other commands but couldn't get rid of it. I just hate that prompt page coming up, I usually turn on my computer and walk a way, been doing that for years and I keep forgetting and comeback to a computer that is froze in the process of trying to reinstalling windows, It's madding!

thanks bcastner, that did the trick. WOW cool!!! I was off line working on the other comput trying this page: But you did it, Thanks again!
But I have one more problem, I have the samething only on Windows 2000 Professional and Bootcfg is not reconized. How do I do the samething on that comput?

right-click My Computer, Properties.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit.

Edit what is there so that it looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect

Bcastner, I would like to thank you for your help in solving both my troubles!
Once again thank you!

linney, thanks for the links. Now I know what Bill was having me do more clearly. Going to save the web pages to my Windows help folder.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back