Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to transmit a + (Plus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKatReliable

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
My company connects to a bank to send a file every day, and they changed the service we dial into. I am supposed to WAITFOR "Host Name: ". However, after my script connects, the host sends Host Name in garbage characters. Their tech people said to key in a + and Enter. Then it sends Host Name: in printable characters with no hieroglyphics.
The Aspect doc says that + is a reserved character.
I tried TRANSMIT "+^M" and "`043^M" to no avail.
How can I hoodwink Procomm in my script to send a + Enter?
Oh, another teensy problem is that I can't trap garbage characters, so I have to figure out when to send the +. I can send it right away or use PAUSE 2 or something like that.
Regards,
Glenn Koproske

Where did you see that + was a reserved character? I was able to create a script that use a transmit "+^M" and it sent the plus sign successfully. Are you able to send the plus character manually?

aspect@aspectscripting.com

We have Procomm version 4.8 build 71.
In the Aspect Help, look up + and it references + in the Reserved Symbols chart, and there is a help topic under + that says reserved symbol.
We are getting by right now by having the user manually input the + and Enter, and that works like a charm.
I will put "+^M" back in the script and fool with it. Maybe it's just a matter of the timing of when the script sends it versus what the host is sending to our screen.
Regards,
Glenn Koproske

OK, what that means is that + cannot be used in a variable name because it is a math operator. You should be able to send it just find in the transmit statement.

im havin that same problem with the tilda sign ~
it wont send in a script althogh I can push it fine myself.

This is due to the tilde being used as a pause character (half-second delay) by Procomm Plus. You can change the value of the pause character by selecting the Options | System Options | System Options menu item and choosing a new value for the Pause character field. You can also add the RAW keyword at the end of the transmit command and the tilde will be transmitted instead of acting as the pause character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back