Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to restart the MTA Continuously on two of my Servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonb2

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2005
GB
I've got a problem between two of my servers - One is a PDC on NT4 and the other is a bridgehead on W2K. Every 30 minutes or so I have to restart the MTA on both of the servers. The queue on one of the server builds up to around 600 and will only clear once I have restarted the MTA. I've restarted both of the servers and this fixed it for about 3 hours, then started again.

Prior to this problem occurring I replaced one of the servers (The PDC) with an identical copy -

Could this affect my MTA's and if so what could I do to fix the problem?

If anyone has any ideas, then it would be much appreciatated.

Thanks

JonB

What is the spec of your server?

I had a similar problem, I was running on 2GB of memory, and i then moved it to a server that had half the memory, and it worked fine.

It could have been one of two things then, some hardware on my old server (and I would put my money on the memory being faulty) is not working, or exchange 5.5 has a problem running with 2Gb of RAM

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your input but it wasn't a memory issue. I upped the diagnostics level to high and sent the report to a contact at Microsoft. After about a month they sent me a hotfix. It was something to do with running SP4 on Windows 2K Advanced Server and the fact that I support around 200K email users (alot of mail flowing through the bridgehead.

Cheers.

JonB (UK)

Jmarty71,

As requested - Hotfix # KB8705040

JonB (UK)

It looks almost identical. However, if you haven't already installed the hotfix I'd check with Microsoft Support before rolling this out.

Hope you sort your problem out?

JonB (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back