Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to redo setup,time,date,cpu, ect.after half hour or so? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi;Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard,Athlon 2600+xp 333mhz fsb. Barton chip.I have to do setup every so often,when left off for a while.when I go to boot up it defaults to 100mhz at post,and not showing as a 2600+cpu,and time and date defaults to july,ect.Run setup again and set all of these and It works ok.Then sit's and default's again..Is 166mhz what it should be in bios for a 2600+...I thought the battery was good in this board??but what else could it be.?

I am part of a legal, registered charity. We take old computers and refurbish them, add new stuff as needed. They then go to schoolkids who dont have one at home.
I sure wish i could get email addies and take donations here as i do other sites!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

edfair,
I live in a small coastal city with all of one stoplight. 24 miles just to the McDonalds or Walmart....lol
unfortunatly re-cycling is not yet an option out here for computer stuff...wish it was.

garebo,
I do the same as you on the refurbish and donate. I also teach a class at the local senior center. But, a good bulk of the stuff I get is crap I would not wish on anyone. a friend of mine picks up pallets loads at Government auctions and gives me first pick when he gets it to his place. (he is an auction junkie and buys cars, computers,etc...)for the trade I share dumpster space when his is full.

when you own a small repair business and give away free computers. word of mouth is great...

unfortunatly, waste computers from pulling all the the parts that are good start to pile up then the wife starts to give me that LOOK....lol.
a while back I donated ten used P4 1.8 gig machines to the senior house and VFW to donate to needy families....that was what worked out of a pallet of 60 computers....

It helps to have a large basement. And lots of shelving. The problem comes when it starts overflowing the shelves.

Understand about the GSA auctions. Have done my share. The state does the same.

Have you considered recycling via ebay? Hard drives and motherboards would make a little money. But the drives would need to be scrubbed.

Talk to a car repair business. They generally have individuals coming around to get their metal scrap. Might allow you to piggyback into their scrap bin.

Edfair, funny you should say that about the basement. I dont have one. I have 4 bedrooms and an attached 2 car garage. 2 bedrooms and half the garage shelved,lol.
I have the house for sale because its too big and the lot and house is way too much for an old, handicapped man to look after. Its in near perfect condition but killing me to keep it up. But the next house has to be a bi-level, what they call a raised ranch here in Canada. Anyway, the deal is that i can have the lower level when we move as long as no computers show up on the first floor. So what i will do is build a real small unit and sneak it up there one day, once we get settled in, lol.

garebo,
OMG that is so funny, Good luck on your first floor venture.

edfair,
living in a small town I have lots of connections to get rid of stuff. I would do the ebay thing...not enough time and too lazy. it is so much easier to walk out of my shop and just toss away.

I think its a genetic thing that I am a pack rat. and my wife is NOT. LOL... I have learned the value of sometimes just getting rid of stuff.

as for the basement...I would drown. no houses in my town have basements ...the water table in the winter is only a foot and a half from the surface ....lol...hmmm...maybe I could make a swimming pool...thanks for all the great advice

I know about the packrat thing, I get the same from my wife and from what i hear most of us do. Thing is, if you throw something out today, you will need it tomorrow. I had a pc in Monday that wouldnt boot and good thing i saved a couple AT power supplies as thats what it was, you could smell it!
And old hard drives are great for backup,external boxes, testing, etc. Plus you have to keep a lot of parts just for testing when pc's come in to be repaired. The list only begins with a few monitors and on and on from there!

Yeah, the "no computers upstairs" seems to be a common thing with wives.

The county I live in had a recycling day 3 weeks ago. Got rid of 13 Anadex printers and other stuff to the tune of 2 truck loads. Next one I'll probably take care of the Datasouths.

Now if I could get rdd of a few square feet of stuff to make room for the 6 Dells I bought today.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

you know, i was re-reading this thread. And, Edfair, where you said that these batteries read 3 volts even though they arent. If made me think, perhaps its also the quality of the tester.
I do know that to test a battery properly there needs to be a load put on it. A battery can test as ok but under load it just wont hold and the voltage will drop way down.
Maybe thats what you were referring to?

Also, i imagine that there may be a difference in reading quality between a $2 battery tester and a $100 meter?
I am thinking that a lot of factors can come into play here.

garebo,
I use an anolog tester with the needle when I need to test batteries and such.
for the fine electronics I have a digital and a scope. lol the scope has a load test feature I really like. I paid almost $3,000 for the machine lol.
it was worth every penny.

Thats where the load feature comes in, with better quality units. Now yours is way out there, quality-wise! Wow, $3,000, thats $3,566 Canadian, plus we pay 15% tax, thats over $4,000 Canadian! Darn.
Great way to do a load test on a $1 battery, eh? Not that you would waste your time doing so.
I have a clamp or clamping unit, never used it yet, lol.
I have a good quality digital, good quality analog, and cheap analog tester, and then a few really really cheap analog testers.

Analogs pull the battery down pretty fast. They aren't built for the current load. Digital doesn't pull enough to put any load on. So The test is with analog but short term. A new battery is 3.1 or 3.2, enough that it noticable when compared with one that fails in the M/B. This with a medium priced analog meter, not one of the more expensive mirrored ones.
Won't get into the numbers of test instruments, just enough to have 2 of everything (or more) in case something gets stolen.
Lost my last operating scope about a year ago. Someday I need to get one of the 4 working again.

Ed Fair

Thanks for the info, now i need to retain it, lol.

I bought my scope because I designed a controller unit for a Radar system for a friend's crab boat, I have a patent on a small wave guide setup and a computerized navigational system. he can go to sleep and not worry if the boat will run into anything on autopilot. its amazing how much debris is in the ocean.

its amazing how much debris is in the ocean."
And its a real shame, too. Fish and mammals getting caught up in debris and dying.

computer had cmos password protocted, (forgotten password) I took out the cmos battery and installed another operating system. Everything went fine until I put the cmos battery back in. Password protected again. Question, if I replace the old cmos battery with a new one, will the cmos still be locked, if so, how do I clear the cmos password? PS: it's a gateway PIII

Some hold up for hours with no battery and no power. Try leaving it overnight with no battery and the power cord pulled.
Alternate might be to set for CMOS clear and power up, then power down and back to normal setting.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back