Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have to press power on button 5-15 times b4 PC will boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinmanUK

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
GB
When starting PC I Have to press power on button 5-15 times b4 PC will boot The PSU and Fan start but shut off after 2-3 seconds I have to keep pressing the on button and eventually the power will stay on and the PC will boot once the PC is running I have no probs at all with the power.
would appreciate if anyone has any ideas. thx

AT? ATX?
Setup? Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

It sounds to me like you might have the CPU protection features enabled on your motherboard. Quite a few of the newer motherboards give you the option of monitoring the CPU fan speed and CPU temp, and if the temp gets too high, or the fan isn't spinning fast enough then it'll shut of after a couple of seconds. I tried enabling mine and got exactly what you are describing, but luckily realised after it shut down on me a couple of times as soon as I started. The fan probably hasn't had enough time to get up to speed before the mobo shuts it all off. Then every so often it manages to hit 2000 rpm or whatever the level is set to before the BIOS checks.

I simply cleared the CMOS (there should be a jumper on your board - in the bottom right part of the board in many). Just clear that and it'll reset everything in the BIOS so you'll have to make any changes to the BIOS again. You might be able to get away with holding down the insert key when starting it, but I reckon it may shut down before that works.

I hope that's your problem sorted! Let us know how you get on! Good luck!

I had to repair a pc that acted like that for a a family member. There was something wrong with the mobo power connections. Turned out that the board was the problem. Replaced it and haven't hada problem since. I hope that's not the solution to yours but it's possible. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

I had the same with a mobo earlier on, check the cpu fan and reseat the cpu. May be it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back