Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have text frame move with text 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonWhitney

Technical User
May 27, 2004
US
I have a text frame aligned to the right side of the page ( I have the window > text & tables > text wrap > "Wrap around boundign object" and I would like for it to move with the first sentence of the paragraph.

When I hit return above a table spanning the width of the page, the column moves as expected. It's when the object doesn't span the full width that it doesn't appear to move with the text.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Tyson, I'd like to try to help you, but I'm not sure what you're trying to describe. Would you elaborate a little bit more?

Tim,

Thanks for your response. I have a 300 page document which contians about 100 exhibits (tables, graphs and/or graphics, placed in text or graphics boxes). The document is comprised of single column pages which are 6.5 inches across. Some exhibits are tables that are 6.5 inches across. These tables are not bound by text boxes. If I hit the return key in the space above the table, the entire table shifts down a line. This is what I would expect.

Other exhibits are 3 inches wide. The right side of these exhibits are justified to the right, or touching the right margin of the page. In the remaining 3.5 inches, to the left, in this case, I have text. Given that these exhibits always appear next to a summary paragraph entitled "Analysis of Results," I would like the exhibit to move with the phrase "Analysis of Results" and I would like the paragraph to always begin in the 3.5 inch space to the left of the exhibit. I realize that I could copy the object and paste it in the body of the text, but then I lose the spaces on either side of the object.

Currently, if additonal text is added above the "Analysis of Results" paragraph, the "Analysis..." paragraph shifts downward, but the exhibit remains in the same place, thus it is no longer visually associated with the begining of the "Analysis..." paragraph. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to achor the object with text.

I've come up with a crude work-around. I created a table with two columns. The left one is 3.5 inches wide, the right one is 3 inches. In the right column, I have put my object. In the left column, I put the first few lines of text from the "Analysis..." paragraph. When the left cell is filled with text, I then begin the first line under the talbe with the remaining text from the paragraph.

Thanks again, for your interest in this matter. I hope this has helped and I would be happy to make a copy of this example to you should that be useful. Your input is most welcome!

Tyson Whitney

Hi

If I understand you correctly - maby I have something which could help you ...

TextFrames on right (selected) was created by script & are alligned bottom with baseline of text line (with ParaStyle selected in script)

Scripts for InDesign
gg 3753393

RobiNETpl: Dziekuja bardzo. Ja bede widziec jezeli pamietam DOSTATECZNY dostateczny po polsku rozumiec was rejestrujecie. (In case I messed that up: I will try to se if I remember enough Polish to fully understand what show in your file). I will try this today.

Thanks again.

Hi :)

don't look at text in story :)

on right side of page you see selected text frames - this frames was created by script
this frames are bottom aligned with baseline of text with style selected in script
now - only empty frames was created ... in future - anything can be inserted - same type or in context ...

Scripts for InDesign
gg 3753393

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back