Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

have problem installing solaris on sun blad150

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaland

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2005
A2
hi there,
I'm new in Unix , i want to re-install solaris 8 on a Sun blad150 server , when i install using boot cdrom , the installation fails in the 3rd step when it tring to openwindow tool and the following messages appear:
giving up
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: connection refused (error no 146):unable to connect to x server
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit/: no such process (error 2) server error
the file xinit is exists in the specified folder, I don't know what is the problem so please anyone can help?

regards

Have you changed any of the hardware components and then tried a boot -r so that the system recognises it/them? You might then be able to proceed with your reinstall.

I see that message when trying to jumpstart when not on an X term, but you run 'boot net - install w' and it proceeds. Never installed from a cd so I haven't ran across that from a standalone install.

galand;

What release of Solaris 8 are you trying to load, needs to be minimum 2/02.

Are you using the onboard video port?

As KHZ pointed out how about trying boot cdrom -w and see what happens.

Thanks

CA

Thanks freinds to your attention ,

actually I didn't any of hardware compenents of the serve, and about the Solaris all I know it is:
SunOS SUN2000 5.8 Generic_108528-01 sun4u sparc SUNW, Ultra-Enterprise
as I tolde you I'm new in unix don't know much about it,
and about installing without openwindow i tried it also and finish the installation but the problem is that it can't enter the GUI interface when finished and a message appears says:
the connection to x-server fails

which is I need it to install the database on the server.

thanks in advance

galand;

What you can do is login and do an ls -al and you should see a .dt, run rm -r .dt then type reboot -- -r and see if that clears up the problem.

If that fails I would suggest to install the recommended patch cluster from Sun.

Thanks

CA

dear cndc adams,
I did what you told me
ls -al

but there was not such .dt file.

what i want to know is why the tool (openwindow) doesn't work when trying to install from begining, and even when i installd it without openwindow by command:

boot cdrom install-w

after the insallation fininsh it has problem:
fail to connect to x server

what is this x server and how can i solve this problem?

thanks in advance

galand;

I read a doc from Sun that says a faulty mouse can cause this issue when installing. Are you using a Sun mouse?

see below information I pulled from doc.

After this error, the install drops to the # and the install cannot be
restarted. Having the mouse unavailable causes this X server failure
as the install attempts to start up the windowing system.

Solution: There are 2 solutions. The first one is to make sure a working USB
mouse is plugged in. The other solution allows installation without a
USB mouse. To do this you must add " - w" to the end of the boot commands.
This will force the installation to skip using the windowing system
and be entirely ascii text based mode. In the ascii mode, the mouse is
not necessary and keyboard actions can be used to make all selections.
Here is an example of the command to install from cdrom in non-windows
format: "boot cdrom - w". Notice that there needs to be a space before
the - and between the - and w.

Note: This problem only occurs on systems with a USB based mouse. A bad/faulty
mouse can also cause the failure.

So from the above information as far as I am concerned we do not want to run the boot cdrom - w because this will not give us the windowing environment (I learned something new sorry if this wasted your time)

Do you have another Sun mouse available that you can try the boot cdrom command with?

Galand, in order to determine the release of Solaris 8 you trying to load. Take the CD out of the drive and look at it's label. I suspect given this 'Generic_108528-01' that it is a bit too old. Needs to be minimum 2/02.
108528-01 Release date: Jul/18/2000
From looking at the patch release dates. I'd estimate it would need to be reporting 108528-12 or 108528-13 for the OS Revision number.

dear cndc adams,
you are right my friend , this problem cause by the mouse, when i use the original usb Sun mouse , the installation go on successufly , thank you very much for you taking care and pay attention to my threat,
also thank you for all others who replyed to this problem I will really appriciat your help.

thank you
regards
qaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back