Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have OpenDNS, now LAN gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRP123

MIS
Mar 2, 2009
US
Verizon DSL
Westell 6100F modem-router, wired
D-Link wired Switch DES-1105
2 Comps., both XP Pro SP3
===============================
I was having trouble getting the DNS for some sites, and someone suggested I should try Open DNS. I've set it up on both computers, and I have internet access, but my LAN isn't working now. I can't ping either computer from the other. Both had already been going through my firewall before I switched to OpenDNS. What was left out?

I used NetSetManager, as in the screenshot.

Self-built: Intel P4, 3 GHZ / 3 MB RAM/XP Pro SP3

If they are on the same subnet, then you should be able to ping. The only reason you might not is if your firewall was enabled under XP. Try turning it off on both machines, then ping to confirm. Unless you need some form of access between the two machines, then the best thing to do is leave the firewall turned on; and even if you do need that access, you can always open whatever service or port you deem necessary. Having this on will offer greater security against the "bad stuff".

Thanks, I already solved this some days ago. the NIC card on one of the computers is bad. It was just a coincidencethat it happened when I switched to OPen DNS.

LRP,

Were you able to ping your 2 computers on the LAN before changing the DNS ? Are you pinging by machine name or by IP ?

Can you send the result of ipconfig/all for both computers ?

--------------------
Pierre Martin / ITEA
Information Technology Experts Alliance
Cloud Computing for Small Businesses

See my post of 3/19, but thanks, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back