Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have MCP cert with no JOB... what are my options. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have recently received my MCP certification(last month) and have been looking for work since then, and have not received any calls for interviews. I first thought it was my resume... but after talking to a technical employment agency they said the IT industry is way saturated with MCP/MCSE people. he said he receives 50 MCSE resumes per month from toronto... and i live in calgary. Ive been checking websites, the newspaper, etc etc. and still have no job.

I also have my Computer Information Systems diploma.
I have also worked as a computer technician for 1 year. my work experience includes in-store computer repairs, doing service calls for clients. my network experience is basic.. although i was required to install a server cabinet/server/10 workstations/router/hub etc etc-- by following a manual. that was probably the biggest job ive done, in respect to networking. so.... right now im basically ready to get any job i can get.. warehouse.. whatever. so im question is, why is the IT job market so shitty right now. after getting my MCP cert i had high hopes to land a network/help desk position. I want to get into a field that is really going to be in demand.. so what can i do.. im willing to go back to school if neccessary. I did a little research and they say Network Security and Wireless networking are going to be in demand. What do you guys think?? can you guys give me some options here.. im really stuck right now.

thanks..

READ THE REPLIES I JUST RECIEVED MY MCP AND WILL GO FOR MORE AND AM ALSO A CERTIFIED WELDER. POINT TO REMEMBER ALL TRADE SCHOOLS,TECH OR WHATEVER SELL PROGRAMS THEY PROMISE THE MOON.THEY ARE LIKE USED CAR SALES,WHAT EVER THEY PROMISE CUT IT IN HALF AND GO FROM THERE.THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS IS A GOOD SCHOOL,BETTER THEN MOST. IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER I AM OUT OF WORK ALSO JUST TRYING TO FIND A KNOOK

Ok, first thing's first..... West49, what's with the caps?

Moving on,

My post is a question/plea for help. I'm 15yrs old, I have been working with computers since I was 4, learned html at 9, etc. I do programming/networking. I've worked with routers, hubs, switch, etc (all the basic and some non-basic networking equipment). I'm very familiar with W2K/NT (I've worked with W2K Server and NT server). I've read every book at the book store on Novell (I also use it for my home network). I have worked with MS Exchange and about 20 different web servers (I especially like foxserv, it's free). I've set up several large networks (1 had 3 servers and about 150 computers another had a satellite internet connection). As far as programming goes, I'm very good at VB and ASP. I'm also good (but getting better) at PHP. I use MySQL and Access DB. I ofcourse know the basics like JavaScript and html. I'm very good at troubleshooting. My mother's office (200 employees) uses me as technical support, so I guess I could call that experience too. All this not to mention that I can build a computer from scratch (like everyone else in the world today). I'm also familiar with repairing laptops (which many people aren't). I've had at least 2 years of experience in everything listed above except PHP (I picked it up last year).

Now, on to the questions. All this and the only place I can find a job (summer job or after school during school year) is the local supermarket. I've even tried offering myself for free to several places for the summer (like said above, it's better than watching rikki lake) what am I doing wrong? Another question is should I just drop networking and head towards programming? And does anyone have an idea on how to get a job?

I mean, what am I supposed to do all day? watch Oprah???

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Billits

Andrew,

I'm surprised you have not had any offers of summer work but it depends on your local area - I guess. Have you tried voluntary organisations/charities ? In my experience they are always keen to help.

As for what to do if you can't find work - why not offer to design web pages, learn new skills or improve what you have. I wish I had some spare time as there is so much I need to learn/do but I'm always working - don't waste the chance - spare time is the most precious and rare commodity when you get older.

Networks or programming - really depends on what you enjoy -it's that simple. But don't worry - you can tell you're going to make it - when you get your chance seize it !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back