Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have Adaware, do I need Spybot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

compjock

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
US
I have Adaware, is having Spybot reduntant? How about Pop-up stopper? What are the best programs to protect system integrity? Thanks

The tools available all of there respective strengths. If you use an antivirus software with active scanning, it is worth keeping in your toolbox:

AdAware (note new version last week, keep the definition files updated);
SpyBot
Hijack This!

See:
The first two products contain quarantine and anti-hijack features that you can use if you choose.

At the moment the inbuilt firewall will protect your computer from incoming hacks, it will not (yet) prevent anything that does get in phoning home.

A good site for XP's firewall is -

There are plenty of firewalls around (many are freeware). This may help you further.

Depending on what firewall you end up with you may require a third party program to block "pop ups". A separate virus scanner (and Trojan or Worm scanner) will be required as firewalls don't check files on your computer for virus or other infection, they just stop programs from phoning home.

Most nasties enter your computer via email attachments or downloads. A google search will find many possibilities for scanners, again some virus scanners are freeware, many are not.

A couple of good anti spyware programs are advisable.

Spybot

Ad-aware

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

These following sites are general security sites.

Beginners Guides: Spyware Protection and Removal

This is an 8 page article but worth the read.

Here's one from CERT, the Carnegie-Mellon Software Engineering Institute.

Microsoft TechNet Security - Columns

Don't know if it a lot of help, but I run Norton Internet Security 2002, Adaware, SpyBot and Popup Stopper Free Version. I find that they all stop certain things, but each also covers an area not coverd by any of the others. Even with all that, I picked up a browser hijacker, LOP.COM and had a difficult time removing it.

It's a jungle out there.

Learning-a lifetime occupation

Make sure to use the immunize feature in spybot 1.2.
also install this one
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.

By setting a "kill bit" for spyware ActiveX controls, SpywareBlaster can prevent the installation of any spyware ActiveX controls from a webpage. It does this while not interfering with "friendly" ActiveX controls - so your browser can work correctly and you can have peace of mind

I use both Adaware and Spybot....1 picks up whatever the other misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back