Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have a router and two windows xp pcs, cannot connect to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadget3302

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have two computers, one is running windows xp home the other is running windows xp pro. I have them hooked up to a router and the router to the cable modem. I cannon get the two to get the internet. I am a newbe with routers. Can someone help me out or send me some where with help on routers.

What kind of Router is it... It should have a web based interface that allows you to connect to it and configure it with the username and password that your ISP provided you with in order to connect to their network...As well as check the status of your connection...You must assign Ip addresses on the same network as the router.

Make sure that you Either enable DHCP server on the Router to hand out Ip Addresses to the workstations....Or assign static ip addresses at the workstations with a default gateway of the ip that your router uses.

Make sure you can ping your Router -->start -->cmd --> ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP address is on your router)

I will give you suggestions a shot. If it does not work I will be back. but thanks.

Okay another question. Okay I have comcast cable Internet. With a Motorola 4200 surfboard. I ran the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. Why cant my router connect to the router??????

You are not really providing enough info for anyone to give you good suggestions... and to answer your question are you sure that you are using the right kind of cable between the modem and the router (crossover or not)??

How many IP do you have with your cable account?
What type of router?
did you set the outside IP address on the router with the info from your cable company?
Can you ping the world from your router?
are you using NAT on the router to masquerade the 2 PC?
etc.. etc..

Give a bit more info and hopefully we can help.
Good luck

Okay well I am using a regular cable not a crossover. I cannot ping out to the world. The router, and this is probably my downfall is a compusa brand. It does have NAT and DHCP lots of goodies. I can get the two pcs to network and share resources but I cannot get the darn cable modem to connect to the router. Im just really frustrated. Did not mean to be bland or bleak in previous posting.

Do I need a crossover cable. I thought that was only between two switches or two routers.

More then likely your cable modem is setup to connect to a PC not a router hence you would have to use a crossover cable. Do you get a link light when both cables are on?
if you don't then cabling is your problem if you do get a link light then I would have to say the modem's "outside" interface is not setup properly.

Also on a second thought did you have a computer connected to the cable modem before the router? if so you may have to reset the modem, some of them keep MAC addresses in memory so the change from PC to router would not work until you reset the cable modem (note I strongly suggest that you make sure you can reset the modem without loosing info before doing it, some providers are not very good with this kind of thing).

that sounds very helpfull. I did not try re starting the modem. I will give that a shot. I do get lights on both ends of the cable also. Thanks I will update after I give your suggestions a try.

I let the cable modem reboot with the ethernet connected. No luck. I think I will try to buy a crossover cable and give that a shot.

Well I bought the crossover cable and It works thanks so very much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back