Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have a G4, want bootup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecaboodle

MIS
Jan 22, 2001
Have a G4 mac that want boot, it gives the lovely chime to start booting then three bongs and the power light flashs a couple of times.

The HDD is ok have taken it out and pulled work off on another machine.

Has been fine for months, has had no changes to it.

Any clues?

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

First things first... did your system come with a hardware troubleshooting disk? Mine did and it is bootable. IF you have that run it and try that. Also try with the system disk. If not, here's some more suggestions...

Do you have any way to check the power supply box? That could be one problem and another would be the battery for the other board may be shot.

Still another would be to the the reset button on the motherboard right next to the battery. You unplug the machine, press the button once (do not hold down just press, more than once in a row can hurt things), wait about 10 seconds, plug in and try.

It resets things and I have read that this is something that other G4 users have had to do.

Cuda button is similar to zapping the pram, and definately worth a shot. How about any added pci cards or ram? I have an older G4 that refused to boot with an older scsi card in it.
Best of luck,
PT

Has gone in to be repaired, It would not boot from any disks at all. Did try zapping the PRAM but no luck either.

Will let you know when it comes back!

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

Three beeps? Er I believe the chap said three flashing lights:)

Sounds like the motherboard to me.
Anxious to hear the word from the shop. Please post.

Macgeneral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back